Okay, someone please tell me in the comments section what their favorite Pho spot is. I have been to lots of Pho restaurants in the lower mainland and each is never much better than the other one. Sure some are cleaner, some tables don't smell like stinky towels and some accept debit but the flavour all seems to be about the same. Please tell me where your favorite is.

I decided to stop by Bao Chau on the weekend for a quick lunch. Bao Chau used to be a frequent stop for me, mostly because of the great value for their spring rolls. The place is somewhat clean in comparison to other Pho restaurants and the meal is solid. The pho is cheap, generally being $6.00 for a small and $6.50 for a large and comes with a good portion of meat. However, in my opinion the best part of the restaurant are the spring rolls, they are cheap ($1.75), you can order any number and they are of decent size.

Rating - Solid and clean enough. They do not serve dog at Bow Chau, I asked to satisfy my curiousity.

Bao Chau
2715 Hastings St
Vancouver
I also find that servers in Pho restaurants speak better engrish than ones in Chinese restaurants.

If you want to see another point of view on this meal check out my buddys blog ilovefoodblog.blogspot.com

Here is a copy of their last health report from Vancouver Coastal Health

In Compliance - Food

Refrigeration temperatures are satisfactory (<>

Mechanical dishwashing procedure is satisfactory (final rinse water temperature is > 71 degrees C / 160 degrees F for 10 seconds, measured at the dish; or >82 degrees C/179 degrees F, measured at the manifold).

Handwashing facilities are satisfactory.

Pest control program in place.

No pests observed at time of inspection.

Inadequate Insect/Rodent Control

Seal hole in the corner (steel wool). Place spring traps and/or sticky boards in this area; consult with your pest control technician.

Area behind chest freezers cleaned of mouse droppings and sanitized using bleach & water.

Bao Chau Vietnamese on Urbanspoon

Laura said... @ September 8, 2008 at 11:22 PM

Great blog! Not sure if I wanted to know the food inspection website but its like a car accident, I can't turn away, I keep typing in my fave restaurants to see what comes up...

Anonymous said... @ December 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM

Pho Quyen on Fraser is great.
the beef special satay soup is must try!
3916 Fraser Street

charmaine t said... @ December 31, 2008 at 11:28 AM

I've been to a good number of pho places and this is my favourite. it's always good every single time. never had anything bad there. and uber cheap too.

J-Free said... @ April 26, 2009 at 10:54 AM

pho lan, granville and 3 road in richmond, yellow signage across from city hall

Stever said... @ July 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM

The true hidden gem is Langley Vietnamese -- it's worth the drive. The 10 Large is THE BEST BOWL in Vancouver by far. KPXL tastes like balls compared do it. M - F, closes at 9pm.

antfoo said... @ December 21, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Thai Son - I usually go to the E. Broadway location but I heard that the East 1st Ave location is better.

Pho Tam - I used to go here all the time in Surrey. Sometimes make the trek from Vancouver to go here when I stop by the Hockey Shop. Go for the soup + spring roll combo and wash down with ice coffee.
10302 135 Street in Surrey

Anonymous said... @ February 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Pho Tan is my favorite,everything is good! Two locations, Main St is the original and has larger menu and still better IMHO. 41st and E. Boulevard still good though. Try Main St first.
4598 Main St
604-873-3345

Anonymous said... @ November 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Le Petite Saigon one block west of renfrew right beside starbucks is the best pho place i been too fresh ingrdients he broth is slow cooked for days before serving bo instant brob or powder that mosf places use. They got great reviews online and in the newpapers. They are all about quality and presentation. I highly reccomend!!!