Ok, first off the name. White Spot claims their name refers to everything being clean or "white". But come on, a name like White Spot in 1928 would definitely have different connotations associated with it. Anyways, I am not going to go into this to much but really if the Japanese who fought in the first world war were interned during the second war, having a name like White Spot might mean the people who sat on the back of the bus wouldn't be welcomed inside. I should ask my folks about this.

Anyways, their burgers are rad! Consistent, and delicious, something about that triple O sauce which I understand got there name for the amount of OOOZE, three Os for lots of OOOZE. I ordered the Monty Mushroom burger, with the fries. I must say for the price ($9.49 or if you get it to go it comes with a drink) its a good meal, sometimes the downtown one has the burger with a pale ale for like ten dollars or you get some movie tickets. Right now, I think Modern might be the best but you can't go wrong with White Spot. Make sure when you order it you specify lettuce and tomato to be added because it normally doesn't come with it.

Most of you have tried this burger so hopefully this blog post will bring back some memories. For those of you who have not had a White Spot burger go and get one. What else do people get at White Spot, put your comments in. The Calamari Cesar salad is dope and I want them to bring back the strawberry shortcake.

White Spot
Various locations

PS this burger thing is making me fat and feel so full. I think it might have to end. I feel like that guy from Super Size Me.

White Spot on Urbanspoon

beth said... @ September 12, 2008 at 12:07 AM

i love the triple ohhhhhh sause what can i say?

johta said... @ September 12, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Don't stop your burger hunt. Have you tried the back counter of Save-on-meats on E Hastings? Courious to see if you agree with Bourdain.

Yayer said... @ September 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM

I love White Spot. I can't hate on it I'm sorry. I have memories of my Dad picking up pirate's packs for me when I was a child and I continue that tradition and take my little nephews there when I see them.

The name is questionable. Some skater friends and I were walking by the one and they were like...Isn't this an inappropriate name for a restaurant? I never really thought about it till that moment. Haha.

mstar said... @ September 14, 2008 at 8:49 AM

so you LIKE mushrooms...hey i know a place...

Jackie said... @ September 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM

Delicious White Spot burgers, indeed. I commend you on your continuing quest for the perfect burger. I don't eat a lot of red meat myself, so my burger-eating adventures are so infrequent that I can count them on one hand, and they happen at three-year intervals or something ridiculous like that. It's mostly because I don't have the stomach for stomaching big meat burgers, so I've developed a new litmus test for good burger joints: the deliciousness of their veggie burgers. In that situation, there is no meat to mask poor craftsmanship. I still think some of the best veggie burgers one will find is at the Pit Pub at UBC. Something about the simplicity and use of mayo that echoes Triple O greatness.

Rachel Catriona said... @ September 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM

Zoo sticks and a chocolate shake! Those are my Wet - I mean - White Spot faves.

Do they still serve the Pirate Pack to you if you're 30?

Great blog!

Lydia said... @ September 20, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Burgers are the only thing to order at White Spot. Preferably with a milkshake- it's only $2 extra to add it to a take out combo. Super bargain!

I Love Food Blogger said... @ September 27, 2008 at 11:28 PM

One of my fav burgers indeed.

To read my review on the Monty, visit:

Ildi said... @ September 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM

Well the thing is they are not consistent. We went two weeks ago and had an awesome "bigger" burger. Two days ago we went back because we wanted another awesome burger. It just wasn't as good. The meat was dry and there was a small dollop of triple o sauce so we had to ask for more. The fries were all beat up. Wouldn't rush back. They need to have better quality control!

Z said... @ October 12, 2008 at 1:06 AM

"White" was indeed a slang term denoting cleanliness at one time. It's easy to take it for granted these days but remember, sanitation even 80 years ago was nowhere near as widespread as we think of it, and it's impossible for most of us to think of just how dirty the world used to be. Racial politics had nothing to do with it and moreover non-white people were pretty rarely excluded from businesses -- the colour of the cash is what matters. Canada doesn't have quite as bad a history of institutionalized racism compared to our neighbours to the South, though of course we do have our black spots and I'm certainly not minimizing racism itself. It was however far more common for the Irish or even British to be excluded from businesses than non-white people back then -- they were more obvious and numerous (e.g. "visible") minority groups and therefore more easily picked on. East Indians, Chinese and Japanese on the other hand were generally confined to the periphery and so not subject to quite the same brand of discrimination (of course the Japanese in time would be, WW2 et al, but that's sometime after White Spot was conceived!). Fear of a similar deluge (first of Irishmen, then, it was feared, of "Chinamen", aka the "Yellow Peril") is what brought about the Exclusion Act and such. But yeah, plenty of prejudice out there without people going and sticking it in where it doesn't belong, not that the blogger did.

V0LLR4TH said... @ May 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

i know this is really late but 'white spot' is the hottest part of a grill or pan.. i don't think there's much in the racist angle even if it -was- named in 1928.

Anonymous said... @ August 31, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I know many of you love it...but I just dont get it! Take away the sauce (yes I AM one of those people) and there's just mc-snicky quality flavourless meat and a bun that can squished into a wonderbread ball.
Ill take Save-on meats or even burger king over these guys any day!