Ok, so this month I was out of town for a bit so I will make my monthly challenge easy on me. For October I will try and find the best Ramen spot.

Took a lunch trip to Motomachi Shokudo, this was the first time visiting this small spot. The seating there was uncomfortable, we sat on what looked like a stepping stool made out of wood, plus I don't think they turn on the heat there. It is my understanding that Ramen restaurants have a fast turnover of patrons so comfort in the restaurant is not their primary concern. The restaurant is a very nice looking place but small.

We sat down fairly quickly and we all ordered the bone charcoal Ramen (description can be found in the image below). The soup came real quick and looked great. I ordered the Bamboo Charcoal Dark Miso Ramen for $9.75. The presentation was great, the soup had one large piece of pork in it, a half of an egg, bamboo shoots, and sliced chili peppers.

The broth tasted good. My gold standard is Ippudo in NY which was just incredible, and this soup did not come close to comparing to that. The angel hair noodle was tasty and so was the soup as a whole but nothing incredible. The bamboo charcoal tasted good and added a little grittiness to the soup, the charcoal is supposed to help your body digest the food, and can help with your skin. I will compare this ramen to the other spots in the end of the month.

We also ordered Gyoza but they forgot about it and we had to reorder. They were super long in shape but they were tasty. I think my favorite gyoza in the city is the Shiru Bay Asparagus shrimp joints, those are incredible.

The service was good but we were a little slow to get the bill. They also struggled when we all said we wanted to put $14 dollars on our credit card. I thought they were going to call head office because the two of them were struggling to figure it out. Eventually we paid and got out of there, but things always get a little weird when you break the system in a Japanese Restaurant.

I think this place will rank in the top for ramen in the city but I would like another chunk of pork in my soup. You can however add more bamboo shoots/corn/green onions/butter etc to your soup if you like for some more money.

Motomachi Shokudo
740 Denman Street, Vancouver
Tel: 604-609-0310
Close to Denman and Robson.

I saw some friends in the restaurant who were visiting because they were going through the VancouverMagazine 101 (local) Things to Taste Before You Die.

PS - One day later and my skin feels great. LOL
Motomachi Shokudo on Urbanspoon

kent said... @ October 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM

one day later i got a zit,hahah.
one other thing to add they only gave you half an egg, i need at least a whole egg.

Lydia said... @ October 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM

If you're considering trying that Egoziku whatever place on Robson, all I'm saying is, check the Vancouver health inspection website first.

johta said... @ October 18, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Is Motomachi Shokudo the chicken broth based outpost of Kintaro?

Anonymous said... @ October 18, 2008 at 9:09 AM

I think you should go there again and try the miso chicken ramen and order a side plate of pork with it. The Miso Chicken is by far the best ramen I've ever had in this city.
I really like your blog.
Thanks.

Anonymous said... @ October 18, 2008 at 3:38 PM

their brown rise sushi is very tasty

shokutsu said... @ October 18, 2008 at 4:27 PM

Just curious to know if you are going to do up a list and share with readers ahead of time on what places you are looking to check out on this month's challenge? Was just thinking that there are probably less options this time as compared to the burger theme of September...

Gyromite said... @ October 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Yes Motomachi is the Organic chicken broth outpost of Kintaro.

Not sure what all the ramen spots ar in this city, still need to do some research. But I have Kintaro, Menya, Benkei on my list. And I guess I have to go to Ezogiku since they were one of the first but I will take Lydia s advice.

Any other ramen spots?

shokutsu said... @ October 19, 2008 at 1:01 AM

Ya figured that might be your list. I guess if you want to expand it, you can try out the fringe spots that have it on their menu but you just know they don't really know what they are doing. A stall at Aberdeen Centre in their food court comes to mind, as I recall them having several ramen with choice of broth on their menu. Buyer beware though. :)

marjolyn said... @ October 20, 2008 at 9:58 AM

best ramen i've had so far is @ kintaro on denman. not sure if you've tried it but its pretty good for the cheap price. seating isn't very comfortable either and the place is really tiny. but check it out?

I Love Food Blog said... @ October 20, 2008 at 11:09 AM

Love the blog...keep em coming!

For me it's Kintaro, Benkei and then Motomachi with Kintaro being the best. I'll be posting my reviews on all three soon at:

daylan said... @ October 20, 2008 at 12:00 PM

there is an actual ramen restaurant that's located at the entrance of parker place on hazelbridge way.

Ajisen Ramen
Parker Place Mall, Richmond
Tel: 604-304-3351

i've been there occasionally, but i always get the spicy pork ramen and i've ordered the curry beef ramen once. it's pretty good, but it is a little less traditional than kintaro and motomachi.

anyways, you're gonna have to go try it if you are doing a best ramen list.

Lydia said... @ October 24, 2008 at 12:05 AM

I just took my own advice and read the health inspections for both Ezogiku locations, and while the ones about one of them being shut down last spring are gone, they both still sound gross enough (you had me at rodent feces) that I don't think I'll go back. I do still love ramen though.

jefchoy said... @ October 31, 2008 at 6:49 PM

you can try koko on hastings...they got ramen...

Anonymous said... @ January 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Thanks so much for doing the best of ramen list. I tried Motomachi this weekend and loved it. The charcoal ramen was so different from any ramen I have ever tasted, and I love the fact that they use organic ingredients. Their gyoza was very good too. I don't mind that this is not the largest ramen, as I prefer quality over quantity.

I will be back to try the miso ramen as I had a taste from my nephew's and it was delish.

Only drawback, the parking.

KyleRobotN said... @ January 29, 2009 at 10:59 PM

Well I disagree.. Kintaro's broth is better than Motomachi. I do enjoy motomachi for it's gyoza, pork, and noodles. But for some reason I crave the Kintaro broth!