Since I am on the ramen mission, this place is a must. Kintaro is considered by many to be the best ramen in the city but that was partially because there was no competition other than Ezogiku but now there is.

Took a trip to Kintaro and based on recommendations from ilovefoodblog I got the chashu miso ramen with fatty pork and rich soup. The soup with a rich taste was good, almost great. I had a sip of the shoyu version and I think I liked it better. The fatty pork I ordered was way too much for me, it made me need a coke to help digest. Getting the chashu bowl is definitely worth it, you get a couple more pieces of pork for a couple dollars more, it makes the ramen a full meal. The gyoza was so so. We all know how important it is to know where to eat but knowing what to order is also key.

The atmosphere in Kintaro is ok. Basically, a place you go to after snowboarding or when you need to have bowl of ramen, not your date spot. If you do take a date there, you at least know the bill will be cheap. There is a big circular community table, a few small two man tables and the bar which seats about 8 people. Sitting at the bar can be fun because you get to watch the dudes behind the bar do all the ramen prep.

Kintaro Ramen
788 Denman Street
Vancouver
Kintaro Ramen on Urbanspoon
Next time, I am ordering shoyo chashu ramen, lean pork with cheese. Never had the cheese. Anyone??????

beth said... @ October 28, 2008 at 12:41 PM

ladies love the cheese ramen...

DAN FONG said... @ October 30, 2008 at 8:36 PM

One thing I miss about Vancouver is Kintaro's, it's sooooo goooood.

Lydia said... @ October 30, 2008 at 11:15 PM

My roommate had the cheese and she said it was all right. I once had lamb and cheese and noodles in broth at Legendary Noodles, and it was surprisingly good at the time, but I felt gross almost immediately afterwards.

Anonymous said... @ November 13, 2008 at 9:20 PM

lean pork doesnt cut it
next time ask for half and half with the chashu
half fat half lean
better experience
when i get fat chashu i cant never finish the pork
the lean is too tough

at the one on robson they bbq the pork and it's awesome
but the soup isnt as good as kintaro's

so kintaro's still wins

asked the server what she liked the first time i went and she said "i like rich, and i like fat"
soundly like a personal ad for a gold digger
rich and fat is the way to go
screw lean
you lean bastard

Anonymous said... @ January 22, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Red Alert!!!

Kintaro will be celebrating their 10th Anniversary on Monday, January 26th and the first 500 bowls of miso ramen will only be $2. Add an order gyoza for $2 (that day only) and you have a great lunch.

I have been itchingt to try their miso ramen. This is a good a time as any. See you there.

Hurry while it’s hot or until they run out of soup stock, that is.

Canadian Travel Insurance Specilists said... @ May 31, 2009 at 9:13 PM

If you are on Ramen mission, you should go to Deli Nippon.

This is the only Ramen restaurant in Vancouver that serves chicken based broth. All others give you pork based fatty broth.

So you should have Shoyu ramen because Miso does not go with chicked base broth.

Here is information
Deli Nippon
3913 Knight Street
Vancouver, BC V5N 3L8
Tel: (604) 568-6101

Hope you like it.

Anonymous said... @ March 10, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Cheese ramen is good, but unless you want it to be super rich, get the lean broth. Chesse adds alto of richness.