Here is the first guest blog feature. I am glad I edited it because her writing was laden with gramatical errors and way too long. It is now a really good read. Enjoy.

-------
Trattoria Italian Kitchen

So, I guess I should explain how I got invited to guest-blog on the illustrious Vancouver Slop. It was a challenge put forth after my dear frenemy, mastermind behind The Slop, questioned my taste in food and thus I was compelled to redeem myself - but not before making him pay (and literally) for his slander.

Rules of Engagement (As put forth, verbatim, by frenemy)

1. You guest blog
2. No appeys
3. No drinks
4. You arrange everything
5. You don't get to pick the place because I don't trust your taste. Ha ha.

So I got a meal, and a chance to show my frenemy what I'm made of.

I have yet to find an Italian restaurant that holds true to all three tenants of great Italian cuisine: simple, rustic and fresh. I also don't think people should have to pay $40 for an entrĂ©e to find a quality Italian meal that doesn't leave you feeling like you look like Joey Fatone. In my quest for the meal that brings out the best of my imaginary Italian countryside nostalgia, we decided to try a restaurant whose namesake is that of casual, modest, rustic style Italian eating – Trattoria Italian Kitchen.

Trattoria Italian Kitchen on West 4th Avenue is basically the Marc by Marc Jacobs, of the Italian Kitchen and the Glowbal family. It's still got the name, but caters to a younger, more casual, Banana Republic wearing crowd. Paradoxical to the spirit of a true trattoria, the interior is as yuppy as any Glowbal Group restaurant can be expected to be, but their patio looks like it will be a killer spot in the warm summer months. My frenemy and I ordered the same dish – Spaghetti with Kobe Meatballs. My strategy was to order a classic Italian dish that could serve as an easy barometre for comparison. The pasta came quickly and well presented with real grated parmigiano reggiano. The Spaghetti with Kobe Meatballs was a solid dish with fresh parsley and basil leaves that added an unexpected freshness to the otherwise heavy tomato sauce. The Kobe meatballs were tasty and very spicy, but a bit dry for a cow with a personal masseuse.

Our friends ordered the Penne Arrabiata and the Spaghetti Bolognese which were pretty decent, though the Arrabiata with its pancetta and dollop of heavenly burrata (a creamy white cheese) took the cake as the winning dish for the night. Trattoria has good pasta at a great price point, with 4 entrees coming to less than $60. Their selection of fresh pizzas and rustic-style dishes sounded appetizing but have yet to be put to the Vancouver Slop palette. I guess we're still looking for an Italian restaurant that services our faux countryside nostalgias...

Trattoria Italian Kitchen
1850 W 4th Ave

Trattoria Italian Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Written by ML
Edited by Matt

Isaac said... @ December 1, 2008 at 1:56 PM

i think you mean 'tenet'..

Michelle said... @ December 1, 2008 at 2:06 PM

i smell sabotage...haha!

Gyromite said... @ December 1, 2008 at 2:17 PM

I checked the original submission, the mistake is initially in the writer and then mine for not catching it.

Hard to find good help these days.

Jennifer said... @ December 1, 2008 at 2:25 PM

matt don't be jealous.

Natalina said... @ December 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM

ITALIAN BITCHIN RIGHT ON RIGHT ON

O-toro said... @ December 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM

great post! first guest blog = success

Danimal said... @ December 3, 2008 at 5:35 AM

I would love to show the writer my cannoli!

Anonymous said... @ December 4, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Why did you have to diss your own guest blogger by pointing out all the faults?

I read your comment to my friends, and we came to a conclusion that you are indeed full of yourself and/or mean.

Grow up dude and take credit when you deserve it, not by pointing out faults of others.

darren said... @ December 7, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Banana Republic wearing crowd? Don't know about that.

What I do know:

1) IK is a much better alternative than what was there before - Chiantis
2) the service was good (just like the mother ship back on Alberni)
3) It's busy - so make a rezo.

Gyromite said... @ December 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM

To Anon,

My guest blogger is a far better writer than I am. I will be the first to admit that my posts often have numerous grammatical errors in them. The intro to her post was a joke, that both her and I found funny.

This blog started as a way for me to share my experiences with friends. I know that I now have many readers who don't know me, and therefore won't fully grasp the tone of the content but this blog will continue to play hommage to its original goal. We will continue to keep the writing super casual, kinda funny and not full of industry jargon.

Maybe you should start a review blog on oxycotton.

Sunshine said... @ December 24, 2008 at 9:29 PM

I absolutely love Trattoria! The pasta platter is delish, and you get quality italian food at a fairly reasonable price, most pasta dishes are under 15$ whereas you get a lot less quality at places like cactus club cafe for their nothing special prawn & scallop spaghettini for a whopping 19.50$, highly recommend the proscuitto pizza and pesto pasta, yum!