Seb's Market Cafe
I am still searching for my ideal breakfast spot.

This is my second time going to Seb's and the only reason why I am going back is because I have heard so many recommendations about this place.

The first time I went to Seb's, I ordered an eggs benedict and they forgot to put the vegetables in the benny and instead just said the chef forgot to put your ingredients in the benny and then gave the veggies to me on a side plate. My immediate thought was "please bring this back to your kitchen and then bring it back when the order is right, and please don't spit in it" but I kept my mouth shut to avoid a scene and embarrassment to all at the table.

This time, things went smoothly and the service was decent. I ordered the eggs benny with roasted peppers, onions and basil (10 dollars) and my friend ordered a shitake mushroom omelet (10 dollars) with and side of turkey sausage (3 dollars).

The benny was different to most, but not in a way that I liked. My benny was served with havarti sauce instead of a hollandaise sauce and it was served on a country biscuit instead of an English muffin. I was not a fan of these changes. It was served with a small portion of fruit and potatoes which were nothing worth writing about.

The mushroom omelet was bland and I would rate only as satisfactory. The egg mix could have used some spices to make the omelet more flavourfull. The turkey sausage however was great, cooked to a crispy perfection.

The other great thing about Sebs is the atmosphere. Everything feels some homely. The coffee and soups seemed like they were served hot. I would like to chill there if the food was better.

Help me out and let me know your favorite weekend breakfast spot.

Seb's Market Cafe
592 E Broadway, Vancouver
Tel: (604) 298-4403

Seb's Market Cafe on Urbanspoon

Rachel Catriona said... @ December 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM

Barney's on Main has a great brunch. Wicked sausage. Also, head over to Commercial. Loads of places there. Theresa's is a steal! And great eggs and coffee. Locus on Main at King Ed serves up great bread with their weekend brunch. Sweet and spicy butters to go with them - so good!

RJ

PS. I am still loving this blog! Keep it up.

Gyromite said... @ December 22, 2008 at 12:25 AM

Cafe Barney on Main was closed the other day. Do not look if you do not want to.

This is the first time that I have seen the actual closure sign in place.

Thanks for the comments and recommendations.
Cheers

Anonymous said... @ December 22, 2008 at 7:58 AM

I have been to Elbow Room on Davie st.a few times.
Good home cooking.I think it's only opened for breakfast and lunch.Make sure you finish your food or you will get reprimanded...lol

kickpleat said... @ December 22, 2008 at 8:53 AM

i recently went to 2 chefs and a table and i really liked it. my review is here: http://www.foodtv.ca/BLOG/blogs/shopping/archive/2008/12/19/dining-on-the-fringe-brunch-at-two-chefs-and-a-table-vancouver.aspx

TK said... @ December 22, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Cafe Medina - My new favourite brunch spot. Good hearty food - I've had the Cassoulet, Fricasse and Les Boulettes and they are all very delicious!

Lydia said... @ December 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM

I thought the food at the Elbow Room sucked, although I enjoyed the server calling my fiance 'princess' because he didn't eat his veggies.

That has got to be the worst food inspection report EVER.

shonna said... @ December 22, 2008 at 6:35 PM

What's really good at Seb's, I think, is the breakfast wrap... yum.

Anonymous said... @ December 23, 2008 at 8:33 AM

I second Cafe Medina and I also love Slickety Jim's.

Ariadna said... @ December 23, 2008 at 12:51 PM

I hate the Elbow Room but I do love The Alibi Room. Provence Marinaside has delicious breakfast but it's kind of pricey.

Jackie and Rob said... @ December 23, 2008 at 7:07 PM

Our favourite breakfast spots:

Theresa's on Denman (different than the one on the Drive, which is apparently awesome and we still need to check out)
Cafe Deux Soleils
Slickity Jim's
Rhizome

Anonymous said... @ December 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM

Roundel Cafe on hastins just past Nanimo is a good one.... roasted yams and potatoes are a nice change. Bennies are their specialty and their milkshakes are delicious!

steph said... @ March 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM

i honestly think tomato has the best brunch in town. not a big fan for dinner there but try to brunch. i highly recommend the tcop.