Cafe Medina

Cafe Medina (not a Belgian restaurant) is the product of the people who brought you Chambar (Robbie Kane, Chef Nico, and Karri Schuerman). Located on Beatty Street beside Chambar, they initially just served waffles but now their menu has expanded to a wide range of dishes.

The atmosphere inside is fantastic. Including exposed brick walls, old looking mirrors, paintings resembling Russia in the winter (although a different country the paintings reminded me of some of the cinematography from the movie Let The Right Ones In), old industrial seating and an annoying smoke alarm that decided to go off while we were eating.

I ordered the Fricasse (15 dollars - 2 fried eggs, braised short ribs, roasted potatoes, caramelized onions, arugula, smoked applewood cheddar. Grilled foccacia) and my friend ordered the Jambon et formage (15 dollars - Pulled Karabuda pork, morbier cheese, cherry compote, toasted fruit and nut bread Belgian endive, pecan, watercress salad). Look at the photos, it looks dam good and tasted even better. The braised short ribs tasted incredible, add the flavor of the egg and I was ecstatic. My foccacia bread was soft and a great addition to the meal, it was cut in a perfect rectangle, reminding me of Duplo blocks.

I wanted a little more food, so my buddy and I shared a waffle with the mixed berry compote on it (4 dollars). The waffle was warm, and had a nice sweet taste to it. It also managed to not get all soggy. It was small but dam tasty. Much better than Patisserie Lebeau who I have a love hate relationship with (love hate because the waffles are good but are not made fresh to order).

This is my new favorite breakfast spot. A little pricey for it to be a regular spot when I know I can get eggs and bacon at a greasy spoon spot for four dollars but if you ever want to go out for a nice breakfast you MUST give this place a try. Highly recommend.

Cafe Medina
556 Beatty Street
Vancouver
www.Cafemedina.com
Cafe Medina on Urbanspoon

PS - Make sure you get a box of matches before you leave. I find it is always nice to have a pack available in your washroom in case you guests arrive to your place after a meal that did not agree well with their stomach.

I Love Food Blog said... @ January 11, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Nice post. I've read a bit about Cafe Medina. Had my eye on them for a while. I'll have to pay a visit after having read this post.

seedtosoul said... @ January 11, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I wish I had known about Cafe Medina before my brunch experience this morning at Brioche. I'm definitely putting Cafe Medina on my must-try brunch list.

johta said... @ January 12, 2009 at 2:33 AM

The prices seem a bit stiff.

What is Karabuda pork? Different from Kurobuta?

Gyromite said... @ January 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM

It is definitely not a cheap spot but I am finding 13-15 dollars is somehow becoming the new acceptable norm. Considering the atmosphere, level of service, and food, I did not mind paying that much but it is a meal I won't do everyday.

As for what is Karabuda. Not sure, it was a copy and paste from the menu.

With more investigation the breakfast menu says Karabuda while the Brunch menu says braised pulled pork.

Food Lover said... @ January 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I wish I had known about this place while I was in town. The snow ruined my gastronomic plans. I love nice breakfasts. Breakfast/brunch is it for me. And I love the word fricassee, it makes me think of Bugs Bunny.

shokutsu said... @ January 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
shokutsu said... @ January 12, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Love that LTROI reference, makes me very curious to see that artwork. I know its just fried eggs, but those look incredible!

Jackie said... @ January 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Cafe Medina is impressive and beautiful inside. I went there once with friends visiting from out of town, which seemed like the right occasion to go. It is a little pricey, so for me it's one of those special places to go on a special day. I made the unfortunate choice of ordering "the Sante," which I recommend first-time Medina people not to order because, while it sounds awesome, is really just an artful assemblage of basically raw ingredients (sea salt, cracked pepper, boiled egg, proscuitto, avocado, spoons of oil) that leaves you looking hungrily across the table at the glorious baked omlettes ordered by your friends. I would like to go back someday though. Totally packed on weekends, likely with the Vancouver tech community who live in surrounding Gastown apartments.

Gyromite said... @ January 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Thanks for the warning. It was a little pricey for breakfast but I really did enjoy it.

My last meal at dam Cactus Club was over 15 bucks too.

Dam, I need to find some deals.

Jackie said... @ January 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Damn Cactus Club! They be making fools of all of us!

My favourite breakfast places for a good deal are Theresa's on Denman Street, where they make an awesome veggie hash for $5.95 and you can order basic bacon/sausage/tomato and eggs for about $4... we go there lots these days because it's close to where we live. But also good deals are to be had at the Yummy Cafe near 4th and Pine in Kits (a combination diner/sushi place/breakfast bonanza), and the Nice Cafe off Main and 8th in Mount Pleasant. My favourite meal of the day!