Sandbar
Sandbar is a restaurant located in the heart of Granville Island and has one of the best patios in the city. It was not open during our visit but the patio has two large fireplaces, and heating coils on the ceiling to keep you warm through the cold winters. The view over False Creek is picturesque and is a great reminder to me, why I love Vancouver.

The brunch menu was really small, just three items (Eggs benedict / Sandbar Eggs Benedict / Chorizo Chicken Hash). I ordered the Sandbar Eggs Benedict (14 dollars - Eggs benny with shrimp and crab) while my friend ordered the chicken chorizo hash. The warm bread served at the beginning of the meal was really tasty and quenched the initial hunger of my growling stomach. As for the benedict, the thought of having eggs, hollandaise sauce with shrimp and crab made me excited however the meal did not live up to my imagination. The shrimp was good but the crab had a fishy taste to it. I guess I was a little naive to think I was going to get pieces of fresh crab.

Overall, the benny was decent but nothing special. I wish the crab was fresh or removed completely from the benny. Tthe service was top notch and the restaurant has a fantastic atmosphere. I do plan on having a few drinks on the patio next time but this will not be on my list of brunch spots.

Sandbar
Granville Island
1535 Johnston St

Sandbar Seafood on Urbanspoon

seedtosoul said... @ January 15, 2009 at 8:17 AM

It's really to bad the amazing atmosphere, view and patio doesn't match the food. I've been there a few times now, leaving with my feeling towards the food being "eh it's alright". But after reading what you said about a good place for drinks I think I might have a renewed desire to go back to Sandbar.

carmen said... @ January 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM

glad to hear you found the service to be top notch, especially since the sandbar is infamous for "lost" reservations and servers who can care less.

i didn't let the biased reviews effect me until i made reservations for 4 at the sandbar for my father's birthday. it was coincidentally the celebration of lights finale (which made matters worse). when we arrived one hostess told us we never made reservations, and another hostess (who came by and noticed that we were pretty pissed) told us that one of us probably called this morning to cancel or something.

i swore to never ever dine there, regardless of event and occassion. and of course, i told a good handfull of people of their poor management and service.

Gyromite said... @ January 15, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Carmen,

Wow, sorry to hear. The comment from the second hostess would really piss me off and I would have a life hate for that place.

On our brunch, the service was solid but it wasn't that busy so maybe that was the reason.

gari said... @ January 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM

I don't know where else to turn with this problem. It seems like there is no place else to turn but to fellow Italian Americans. I read food blogs as I work in the food service industry. I follow a lot of NY City food blogs. This is where I first encountered this anti Italian American food blog troll DocChuck. http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=432352292&blogID=457324975

text from the My Space profile
"we choose to leave it up to demonstrate how psychotic predators such as Louise, the Italian immigrant from Brooklyn, NY, and her coven operate."

This person seems to be fixated on Italian American women. He finds out who is Italian and then starts a campaign against them. His main focus seems to be one a girl from Brooklyn named Chiffonade/Louise who he attacks on every food blog everyplace. He gives her real name, her real location, her deceased mother's name. He has been posting pictures of her relatives alive and deceased all over the internet.

Today was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.
I logged into a well-known food blog to find this.

Text from http://www.the-feedbag.com
"I mean when she makes remarks like “he needs to learn how to piss without sitting down” she is exhibiting those dago traits that she should have left in Sicily."

The owner of this blog doesn't seem to want to try and stop it. I guess since he does not care or loves the traffic from the dreck.

I am sure you have heard tales like this one. I am not sure if there is anything that can be done about this guy. My only reason for posting this is to let people know DocChuck is a famous poster on many food blogs. He is a focused on women of Italian American descent and he is doing this kind of thing all over the Internet.
You can google his nic 'DocChuck' you fill out all you need to know if you want to.
When I saw the racial slurs I posted something to strongly discourage this defamation. My post was removed. I again later politely and very nicely asked for the defamation to be removed and again my plea was removed. This seems to be the case on all the blogs DocChuck posts on.
The blog owners seem to want this kind of bad attention.

So there is my story. I called my Nonna who is 93 and asked her what I should do. Nonna said to me let some Italians know about this guy.
She said no woman should be disrespected and nobody's dead mother's picture should be posted as some amusing joke.

Thanks for your time.

Anonymous said... @ November 22, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

The_Ferret said... @ June 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM

For a thorough and eye-opening expose of “DocChuck”/Charles Richard Treuter and his Mormon prison nurse simply make your way to:

The_Ferret said... @ June 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM

A GOOD NEWS UPDATE:

The Weird "DocChuck" epic of Charles Richard Treuter's years of trolling, stalking, harassing, and sending threating emails (including death threats) may very well be moving toward a swift and just conclusion. For details visit: http://theweirddocchuckepic.blogspot.com/

The_Ferret said... @ June 28, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Well, it's time (actually past the time) to properly and thoroughly unmask and expose DocChuck/Charles Richard Treuter and Mrs.DocChuck/Elizabeth Ann (Jarvis) Treuter and it's been done. I mean IT HAS BEEN DONE.

Blog Site Number 1- with a detailed and meticulous exposition of both of these clowns:

Blog Site Number 2 - Where other Internet bloggers gather to share information about the two, shall we say pathological liars (yes we shall, indeed) with serious sociopathic bents:

Both sites are quite enlightening and great reads - ENJOY!

Anonymous said... @ September 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Elizabeth, Elizabeth, Elizabeth...come on, PLEASE, and tell us about your standing as a world-renown neurologist, MD, PhD,owner of a U.K. clinic, etc.

Those of us who have repeatedly called your extension (1103) at the offices of Correctional Medical Services in Maryland (410-872-8590) are inquiring minds who want to know but you never answer the messages we leave for you. Wadt up wit dat Mormon sista? Huh?