The first Friday of every month the Ukrainian Heritage Hall serves perogy meals between 5-8. It is best to go early if you want to try this out.

We showed up at 7:30 and they were claiming that they were out of perogies but we stuck around and took our chances. In the end there was plenty for everyone.

For 11 dollars we got 8 perogies, 2 cabbage rolls, salad, and a Ukrainian sausage. A very reasonable deal. I expected to get some secret family recipe perogies cooked by Ukrainian experts and served with love from the motherland. However, everything was pretty bland (this feeling was shared by most of the table). The Caesar salad was horrible but that was expected based on its appearance, but the perogies and the cabbage rolls just had no flavour. Maybe it is because I prefer fried perogies more than the boiled one but I think all the attention to detail was lost in the mass production of the items. There were tons of half eaten plates all over the heritage hall.

The experience was fun but I wish the food tasted better. I am going to make a return trip to the take out side to make sure that it wasn't just an off day.

The take out menu is really cheap, a dozen perogies (pyrohy) for 4 bucks, a dozen cabbage rolls for 8 bucks. Check the website below for more details.

If anyone has been before, how do I get up to the VIP room on the stage?

Ukrainian Heritage Hall (Available only on the first Friday of the month)
First Friday of Every Month.
154 E. 10th Ave

I think I am going to do a review of all the cultural centres.

shokutsu said... @ February 10, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Really unique spot you visited. What was inside the perogies?

Like the idea of visiting more cultural centres. Our of curiosity, what else is out there in Vancouver?

Food Lover said... @ February 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM

The best is if you have a friend who's grandma makes perogies or what have you. My friend's Polish grandma used to make tons of perogies (savory and sweet) and those were the best. Also my friend's Italian grandma used to make home made pizza with tomato sauce from grandpa's garden.

If you're ever in Richmond, there's an Austrian club on Westminster Hwy. I remember my friend saying she would eat schnitzel there.

Anonymous said... @ February 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I went to the place you reviewed and have to agree totally-too bland for me!

The best Ukrainian food I have had in Vancouver, (being a former prairie girl) is at St. Mary's Ukrainian church at 3150 Ash Street.

The last time I went was at their xmas bazaar where you line up for homemade perogies, cabbage rolls, baked goods, kolbassa, preserves and pickles. If you're not there within the first half an hour, you're out of luck on a lot of things, especially the cabbage rolls. They will sell again just before easter, on good Friday.

They also have a regular lunch/dinner where they serve the above mentioned and a tasty borscht.

I prefer taking the perogies home and pan frying them in butter and onions. That way, no one can see how much sour cream I put on them and how many I scarf down!

Gyromite said... @ February 11, 2009 at 9:01 PM

The perogies were filled with just potato. As for other cultural centres,

French - Salad des fruits
Italian - On Grandview.
Japanese - They serve food once and a while. They were serving during the East Side Cultural Crawl.
Croation Cultural Centre - Commercial Drive
Scottish - Robbie Burns Day
The Sikh Temple has a free kitchen on sunday.
Some Reggae parties have jerk chicken in the back, does that count?

This sounds like a good mission for me.

KimHo said... @ February 12, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Gyromite, do you mean Japanese as in "Greater Vancouver Japanese Canadian Citizens’ Association", in/near Nikkei Place? Also, isn't there a Portuguese Centre in Commercial Drive? I am not sure if they have gatherings like this; however, considering it is in Commercial Drive...

Gyromite said... @ February 12, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I was thinking about the VJLS. The one near Powell Street.

Lydia said... @ February 13, 2009 at 11:00 AM

The stage seating isn't VIP, I'm pretty sure you can just go up there. I haven't been in a while because school conflicts time-wise. I'll have to look into this St. Mary's.

Anonymous said... @ August 21, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Yeah well you nailed that one! Bland and pretty tasteless. I have been there 2X and trust me the take out aint much better. The perogies have no taste and the cabbage rolls barely any meat just all overprocessed rice.
The only thing on take out is the ring of sausage which is quite good.

Way too mass produced.

Anonymous said... @ December 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM

The food is fine - it's not there to impress - tis there to fill you up and some for an amazing price. Hence the inability for some to even finish plates filled with all that is given.
It's made, served and cleaned up after by volunteers who do it for free, to help keep the church running.
One shouldn't judge such as this alongside restaurants as they are two different animals.

Anonymous said... @ December 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM

It's spelled Ukrainian - if you can't even get that right, I suggest your comments are overly simplistic, too

Anonymous said... @ December 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM

To clear a few things up (me being one of the "volunteers"). Sorry to hear that some people have been disappointed. All the food is prepared by volunteers.Perogies are with potato and cheddar cheese. Cabbage rolls are vegetarian only. December 2009 was our most successful night ever so we must be making most people happy. See you in Feb 2010