My friend and I after a couple hours of work had decided to go eat on the Drive (Commercial Drive) and ended up in front of Marcello. We sat down to a simple menu that consisted mostly of pastas and pizza. We decided on the house salad to start, then the Spaghetti with Clams and the Fresca Margarita Pizza. The salad and its dressing was great! Real italian style salad. The spaghetti was pretty decent as well. The hilight of the meal was the Margarita Pizza that came with the bocconcini cheese! The bocconcini cheese layered and melted on top of the mozzarella makes this pizza way more cheesey without it being too heavy. Their pizza is a nice thin crust straight out of their weird looking oven in the shape of a large face with its mouth wide open. The prices were very reasonable for all items.
Enjoyed the meal with some wine.

I found the pizza similar to Lombardo's Pizza also on the Drive and later found out that there is a link between the two. Lombardo's was originally opened by a couple and after they had split up the husband opened Marcello. I was also told that the calamari is excellent there. Next time i will be ordering the calamari and the Fresca Margarita Pizza again!

Marcello
1404 Commercial Drive
604-215-7760

Marcello on Urbanspoon

O-toro

Anonymous said... @ February 17, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I love Marcello's! Everyone always complains about the service, I've never had an issue. Food is always solid, love the the pizza and mista salad.

marjolyn said... @ February 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Pizza isn't bad, but don't get the canneloni (yuck) - the decor is really nice. But all in all, I prefer La Rocca just across the street. The pasta is soo good there and cheap cheap cheap!

I Love Food Blog said... @ February 19, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I've tried both the pizza and pasta dishes here and they were pretty good.

I'd stick with just the pizzas at Lombardos though.

Anonymous said... @ February 19, 2009 at 10:32 PM

A former cook at Marcello's told me a funny anecdote about the owner. Apparently he was always trying to hide his assets from the ex and would burn receipts in the pizza oven and toss rotting milk in the garbage to keep detectives from digging anything up. I Think the restaurant feels like a cafeteria and has that quintessential shitty Commercial Drive service (probably 'cause the hippies don't tip). Food is good though.

Anonymous said... @ February 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM

also, rumour has it that the husband got caught screwing a waitress on one of the tables at lombardos. SCANDALOUS.

Anonymous said... @ February 23, 2009 at 5:53 PM

i heard the wife caught her husband with two women!
the pizza's are great, try the margarita with anchovies if you like them...it's awesome here.
the service can be terrible, i have been there when one of the guest's pasta's was luke warm and the waitress bitchy.