One of the things that I have learned from my friend Josh was that it is OK to eat out everyday. I remember the first time I went to his apartment. His fridge had nothing in it except a Brita, he only had two cups but one of them was used to hold his pencils and pens, if you opened his oven you would notice that it was used to store his sneakers. The oven was never turned on for the 3 years that he lived in his apartment. In a way, this blog would not have been started without him.

Josh introduced me to Katsu Curry at Guu and Yoshoku-ya. I love the one at Guu but the one at Yoshoku-Ya is even better.

Yoshoku-Ya is a small restaurant located near the corner of Robson and Denman and serves Japanese style home cooked food as well as some Japanese Western food dishes. Looking in from the outside you would never guess that the Alsatian inspired architecure and dark wood interior with floral drapes and French post - impressionist artwork from Toulouse-Lautrec was a Japanese restaurant. Looks the owners bought this restaurant over and thankfully, just wanted to get down to business.

I have tried a few dishes here such as the oyster fry, the prawn fry and the steak but my absolute favorite dish here is the Katsu curry. It comes with a small salad that has a fantastic tasting thousand island dressing. The curry is rich, and has a slight taste of yam. It is fantastic. The portions are substantial, it has lasted me two meals but I managed to finish it all this time.

The service has always been decent but the female Korean owner has never been nice to me, she's not mean but not nice.

Yoshoku-Ya
774 Denman St
604 487-4970

Yoshoku-Ya on Urbanspoon

One cool thing, is that this Japanese place is open on Mondays (it does close early though)

Anonymous said... @ February 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Highly recommend the chicken mushroom saute and the pepper steak. It's love. The food is always great. Actually, everything on the menu is good.

Once you become a regular, Anne is pretty nice. Otherwise, yes, she's pretty brusque. Tell her gochisosama!

Bobby Wham said... @ February 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM

yes, hamburg steak! Dude, If I lived in Van I would live at Denman & Robson and never leave, you got Yoshukuya, Kintaro and Yoshi's!!!

Gyromite said... @ February 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I am always Gochisosama deshita!

She never smiles at me. I want to win her over so bad.

Food Lover said... @ February 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I went there once with Josh and KG. The lady totally wasn't feeling me at all. I think she told me to wait outside. The food was super comforting though.

yayOi said... @ February 12, 2009 at 5:14 PM

It took me a while to win her over. I am surprised the 'gochisosama deshita' didn't get her.
Keep at it. She'll come around to your charms.

The tarako spag is good too.

Robson and Denman? Try Jang Mo Jib.

Lydia said... @ February 13, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Oh my god, we totally cruise up Denman all the time looking for somewhere to eat, and I've never seriously considered this place. Must try soonest.

I just learned 'gochisosama deshita' from my friend, so I'm looking forward to trying it on someone.

Anonymous said... @ February 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM

miss you buddy! - josh

Anonymous said... @ February 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Mmm try the creamy croquettes and the cream corn soup! The soup comes with these little ritz bits... addictive and sooo bad for you. The lady never smiles at me either but I still have a fond spot in my heart for her. hahaha.

604foodtography said... @ February 23, 2009 at 1:32 AM

I've put this on my list to try when I'm downtown..that curry looks delicious.