Located on a pretty serious foodie corner at W Broadway and Larch, Benny's Bagels is nice little neighborhood brunch/lunch kinda spot. Next door is Modern Burger and next to them is Dan. Both are some serious destination spots of food connoisseurs, but Benny's holds its own when it comes to a decent brunch or lunch time meal.

Though it was a mid February day in Vancouver, the sun was out and the patio was the choice spot for our lunch. We watched people filing in and out of Modern Burger next door but Benny's had its share of patrons. Probably under staffed on that particular day the service was a bit slow but friendly none-the-less.

We ordered the Soup of the Day which was a Indian Lentil soup. Quite tasty and flavorful. For a dollar more ($5 or so) you can get the soup & salad set so we got the Caesar Salad. The salad was nothing special, but I've learned to accept to not expect too much of a caesar salad unless you go somewhere like Hy's steakhouse (bonkers!). When in Rome or at a bagel joint, order a bagel dish. Just closed my eyes and pointed to something on the menu, we ended up with the Tuna Melt which was $7. The open faced sandwich came with chopped up pickled under the melted cheese.

The food was alright, nothing to rave about but the atmosphere was nice. Felt like you were at a neighborhood establishment where the locals came for easy food and a relaxing hangout spot.

Benny's Bagels
2505 W Broadway
604-731-9730

Benny's Bagels (Broadway) on Urbanspoon

O-toro

shokutsu said... @ March 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I agree, that patio is a nice people watching place on good weather days. The food as you reported, is neither horrifically bad but also not spectacular by any means. I often wonder if Benny's benefits from the lines/waits at the burger joint next door, cause I've seen more than a few people make the walk over after first entering Modern.

I Love Food Blog said... @ March 7, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I used to go here for their Eggs Benny. I loved the hollaindaise sauce they would use.

Jackie said... @ March 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Benny's Bagels will always occupy a place in my heart, not really for the food but everything else. My roommate worked there for years and would often bring home leftover soup and bagels, and I spent many an afternoon visiting her and enjoying a tuna melt and a beer on that patio. The Benny's staff are super awesome and I do know that the store has been patronized by the likes of Awesometown/Saturday Night Live's Jorma Taccone while he was filming Hot Rod in Vancouver, Alanis Morissette when she was dating Ryan Reynolds and Living in Kits, and many a starving Feenie's waitress on a 15-minute break to scarf as much of a melted chicken bagel as she could!

Follow Me Foodie said... @ December 31, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I didn't think there was anything to rave about either...just really simple student food. Way more for the atmosphere than anything else.

and yes the Caesar at Hy's is ridiculous!

find name with phone number said... @ February 17, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I have heard a lot about Benny's Bagels.I also have heard from some of my friends that it is a nice lunch spot.But all I wanted to know is that what is the specialty there.

earn money writing articles said... @ June 17, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Benny's Bagel has been my favorite destination for food for years.Its an awesome place.