There are three? I remember when I saw the first one on Main Street open up and I thought they have a wicked patio, and then I found a Burgoo on West 10th. I then wanted to know more. After asking around I found out that Burgoo is a comfort food restaurant which originated in North Vancouver (correction -West 10th is the original location) and now has a total of three locations. People have been raving about their soup.

The menu is filled with comfort food from all around the world, butter chicken, soups, sandwiches, stews, mac and cheese, the list goes on. My eating companion ordered the Irish Stew (16 dollars) and I had the beef bourguignon (16 dollars). My friend said he liked the stew but I have a feeling he likes everything. I thought his stew was just ok, but my beef bourguignon was great. The mash potatoes that it was served with had a strong garlic taste, a little too much for my liking. I hate walking out of restaurants with halitosis, it is almost as bad as when your clothing smells like Korean BBQ or what ever was being made in the kitchen. The accompaning mushrooms, carrots, and small dumplings really added to the taste of my stew.

People have been raving about this place and I was happy that I got to try it out. I plan to go back to try out some other items on the menu. Perhaps next time I am hung over. I would say it could be a few bucks cheaper but it seems the new norm for a meal is about 15 bucks.

Burgoo Bistro
3096 Main Street
Vancouver BC
www.burgoo.ca
Burgoo Bistro on Urbanspoon

Loxy said... @ March 16, 2009 at 12:04 PM

The more garlic, the better.

Maybe that's why I'm single.

ELeung said... @ March 16, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Love Burgoo, Only tried the Main street location and really happy with their food... always packed but worth the wait.

Anonymous said... @ March 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

West 10th is actually the original location

Anonymous said... @ March 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I went to the main street one for dine out Vancouver and thought that food was great-especially the fondue!
I will definitely go back!

Daylan said... @ March 16, 2009 at 11:24 PM

i've heard great things about their mac and cheese.

been dying to try this place out.

wflan said... @ March 17, 2009 at 12:09 AM

They may be famous for their soups, but their bruschetta is simple and perfect (honestly, i could order two and make it a meal).

The smart money gets a soup and sandwich combo for the special/combined price ($12?). Even simple combos like grilled cheese and tomato soup are fantastic.

Linda said... @ March 20, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Thanks for this review, as I've been meaning to try this place for a while, now. It's just 2 blocks from my house, but I still tend to be one who sticks to the tried and tested chains. Will definitely pay this place a visit, soon!

604foodtography said... @ March 23, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Sigh. Wanted to try this on Saturday, didn't even get a seat. Waited nearly two hours before I left and went to Zipang.

Marike said... @ January 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Beef bourguignon is my favourite too! The downside is the long wait and the high price tag compared to cost of ingredients. But I will still consider it one of my fav places.

Anonymous said... @ June 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The West 10th location is usually not as busy as the Main street location. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a seat! New summer menu is coming out next week