Dona Cata
This is my favorite Mexican Restaurant. Things have changed from their tiny hole in the wall restaurant up the street that they used to occupy a few years back. This space is bigger and a lot nicer, the and the tacos went from $1.50 to $2.00 each.

This place is very authentic, from the Spanish speaking staff, the Mexican clientele although more and more gringos have found out about this spot and the old Mexican men eating there that were checking out my latin friend. There are about eight home made salsas that you can choose from to flavour up your tacos and chips.

The menu has became a lot bigger and now folds out to be four pages. This time we ordered some soft tacos ($2.00 each - different flavours al pastor/carnitas/carne enchilada/longaniza), tacos dorados ($6 - three small deep fried tacos, filled with chicken and then covered with feta, sour cream and lettuce ), and tacos del mercado ($ 10 - two tender cactus, enchilada meat, avocado slices, beans on corn tortillas with cilantro and onion). Every item was really tasty, I am partial to the deep fried things so I love my taco dorados.

Overall, if you got a car and want to take a mission, go to Dona Cata for some authentic Mexican food at a decent price.

Dona Cata
5076 Victoria Drive
Vancouver
http://www.donacata.com/ - not much on the website.

Dona Cata Mexican Food on Urbanspoon

shokutsu said... @ March 1, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Deep fried tacos, sounds fantastic! Thanks for the find.

604foodtography said... @ March 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Dona Cata is also my fav, as you can tell by the post I put up bout it heh.

I was so confused when I first read taco dorados on the menu, I had to ask to make sure they were what I thought they were [taquitos].

Best part about this restaurant? I live close by!

Anonymous said... @ March 1, 2009 at 10:08 PM

Yes this is also my favorite mexican, also close to home.

Another good place in this area is the Bottle Tipper close to Victoria and Kingsway.

johta said... @ March 2, 2009 at 1:50 AM

FETA???

Gyromite said... @ March 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Yeah it was Feta. Traditionally, they use a cheese called queso fresco but it can be replaced by a mild feta.

I tried to use feta to replace cotija cheese once and it wasnt close to replicating the flavour but this swap wasnt bad.

Deblog said... @ March 2, 2009 at 5:39 PM

This sounds JUST LIKE a place I ate at in New York. --right down to the Mexican old men.
Can't wait to check it out!

holly said... @ March 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM

This is the closest I have found in town which has inexpensively priced authentic tacos. I love their salsa bar and usually order the soft tacos with carmelized onions (which I have to share with my sister because she's too cheap to pay the extra).

Their horchatas are also good.

Anonymous said... @ April 27, 2009 at 8:31 PM

i remember stumbling into this place one night and then forgeting where it was haha... now you've brought it back into my mind thank you so much...i love this place!!!

The Fledgling Basement Foodie said... @ September 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM

I finally saw this place in the flesh (awesome!) today when I went by on the bus to get a back x-ray (not so awesome, but the technician was sweet).
$2 tacos and two margaritas for $8! Wow! Maybe that's where I want to go on my birthday this weekend. Cool.