Swiss Chalet

Where have they all gone? I grew up with one a block from my house and now the only ones I know of are in Kits and in Burnaby. I am on a pot pie hunt right now, so I had to take it back to my childhood and go to Swiss Chalet.

We sat down in an empty restaurant. The atmosphere felt very familiar to my childhood days. However, the table however smelt like dirty cloths, like the tables at the 24 hour pho spot on Broadway.

I ordered the pot pie ($9.50) and my buddy ordered the 1/4 chicken dinner with a poutine upgrade (just over ten bucks). The pie had a nice hearty filling, celery, peas, brocolli, and chicken. I quickly broke open my pie and spooned it on my fries. I love that crunchy combination. Overall, the meal was OK, nothing special, it brought back some memories but not enough that I need to go back any time soon.

They used to have a quarter chicken deal for $5.99 on Mondays but it is no longer in existence.

Swiss Chalet
3204 W Broadway
Swiss Chalet Rotisserie & Grill (Broadway) on Urbanspoon

Maybe I should have ordered the Shirley Temple.

Anonymous said... @ March 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Oh Swiss Chalet. Everyone I know from Ontario has special feelings for Swiss Chalet, we remember when the waitresses were all older women wearing swiss-themed uniforms.
Its all about the quarter chicken white meat and fries with a chalet salad and dipping sauce.

fmed said... @ March 4, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Swiss Chalet was one of the first jobs I had in the food biz many many many years ago.

They had a location in Richmond (across from Lansdowne Mall) where it was a (failed) Keg experiment - "Keg Country Chicken" then later it became a Swiss Chalet. They built and installed custom charcoal rotisseries. It was the best rotisserie chicken I have ever had. Slightly smokey, charred, juicy.

For kicks I went to Swiss Chalet recently...bland birds, dry meat, chewy skin, blech. I couldn't finish it.

Anyone know if they use (or used) charcoal back East? That makes a huge difference.

El Scumador said... @ March 4, 2009 at 12:38 PM

i feel like due to lack of customers, the Swiss Chalet outside of Ontario will never feel like the real thing.

With lots of customers, they have food cooking constantly, not sitting in warmers, getting dried out. It saddens me to get mud but from Swiss Chalet, but it happens, and I can't stop going back!

1/2 Chicken Dinner for life. extra Swiss Gravy.

I Love Food Blog said... @ March 4, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Sorry to hear it wasn't that good. I had a similar feeling the last time I ate something from Swiss Chalet.

Since you're on a pie hunt, I just posted a review of A La Mode located at Granville Island that offers pot pies.

You can check it out on my blog at:

Anonymous said... @ March 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but sometimes, the pot pies at save-on are just about perfect.

shokutsu said... @ March 5, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Have to admit, I am still surprised that Swiss Chalet is in business. With the advent of those dried out roasted birds at places like Safeway, I figured Swiss Chalet would have no reason to exist, as the mainstream crowd could get that crap there. Their dipping sauces from my memories from the '80s, were really poor. I doubt anything has changed...

Silea said... @ March 5, 2009 at 11:57 PM

don't go to the on in Burnaby... i had to send back a simple chicken and bacon salad TWICE... 1st time it came out, there was no chicken in my chicken salad, 2nd time, the chicken they added was raw...when I sent it back again, they denied that it was raw and said it's not raw...it's "chilled". the chicken was pink in the middle, and translucent in color. It's raw to me. what was the compensation? a free dessert with my raw chicken salad (I didn't take it.. walked out of there feelin sick...)

KimHo said... @ March 6, 2009 at 9:18 AM

As the first commenter (sp?) and El Scumador mentioned, it is possible Swiss Chalet is more of a Eastern Canada thing than Western Canada. When I was in Hamilton last year, I had a dinner in one of their locations and it wasn't that bad. Have not been to the locations here but, given the overall comments, I guess I should not.

F said... @ March 7, 2009 at 6:03 AM

I ate a meal at the Burnaby Chalet and we still 10 years later talk about how bad it was ( party of 10)

RE- PIE HUNT:You want to try out "King Pie" at Park Royal, it is one of those South African franchises brought over. Belly growing goodness.

beth said... @ March 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM

ohh swiss chalet! grew up on this goodness!
chicken on a kaiser extra sauce and an extra side of fries...bri where you at?

Jackie said... @ March 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Man, so many of my friends have such nostalgia for the good old Swiss Chalet. Do you remember that dinner promotion in the mid-90s where you could get a Toblerone bar with every chicken? Seemed like such a steal at the time.

Re: pot pie hunt. Could be a good contestant for your next head to head. Has anyone ever tried that French pie place on Granville Island? I've walked by and wondered countless times.

Gyromite said... @ March 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Just did the place in granville island, I ll get it up on the blog soon. I also did aphrodite. Need to go to irish heather, frenchies.

After that I am not sure, Swanson?

Jackie said... @ March 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Good call on Aprhodite's. So delicious, but kind of expensive and out of the way so it feels like a vacation. The Naam actually has secretly delicious dessert pies, and I say secretly because they're seldom taken advantage of since most times I'm so full from the Naam meal that I don't want dessert. Savary Island Pie Company in West Vancouver has apparently great pie. Or, alternately, a pie-specific place in the Lonsdale Quay public market that I also haven't tried but looks good. And then, of course, Swanson's.

Anonymous said... @ March 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM

yay ontario!
i've brought dates before i was allowed to drink here...fancy. and ordered delivery and take out as well which came in plastic lidded plastic plates. the food was always fresh, and when dining in and had a large group, SHABAM the waitress(in a swiss outfitt, red lipstick and blue eyeliner) would remove a partition between two four tops to make it an eight! of course it was only an eight from the head up...only those from ontario would know this. that and the fries and bun have changed.
ahhh swiss chalet! and their french rival... ST. HUBERT!!!

lyndsay said... @ March 26, 2009 at 10:03 PM

a story about swiss chalet: i had a food memory for the swiss chal last summer, so i googed it. "order online" it said. so after a few clicks here, a few clicks there, i ordered a chicken delivery for 6pm that evening, it was like 9am when i ordered. i didn't talk to one soul, so i was like,

"will there really be chicken here this evening??"

555PM: ding-dong. a friendly chinese delivery man with still-hot chicken dinners for me and my pal.

i recommend the delivery service!!!

*also: now i get flyers in the mail addressed to SWISS CHALET FAN

Anonymous said... @ December 14, 2009 at 9:35 PM

The restaurant in Kelowna is SLOP. Today we ordered the family dinner, a whole chicken with the trimmings. I'll bet you it was yesterdays warmed up chicken. It was awful. My Son sends us $100. gift card every Xmas. This practice will has to stop.

Anonymous said... @ January 14, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Swiss Chalet is terrible. unfortunately in our party of ten, my 2 year old was the only vegetarian--i asked the waitress if they could make a cheese quesidilla and they said "no, we don't have the cheese"...so i said just make the chicken quesidilla without the chicken and they said they couldn't do that either. what a bunch of idiots. never again...this was the the one on Broadway, in Kits.

get paid to write articles said... @ June 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Swiss Chalet needs a makeover.It can be good if it wants to be.

Anonymous said... @ December 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Should have read these comments before I ordered Swiss Chalet earlie this evening. I was told they do not deliver. So I went and picked up my order. The food is really slop! Nothing like I remembered it back in Ontario not too long ago! We used to go for Swiss Chalet at least once a week! Never anymore! Yuck!