Favourite Things Under $6.50
Vancouver Slop's main focus is on local food products and all this blogging has forced me to take pictures of my meals and has all0wed me to create a large pictorial library of food and drinks. This is my list of some of my favourite things from Vancouver that cost less than $6.50, some of them offer great value and some are just really tasty. Here is part one, the second part will come after summer 2009.

Enjoy and please add your suggestions in the comments section.

Vancouver Slop Feature: My Favourite Foods Under $6.50

Anonymous said... @ April 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM

This was a great feature. My personal favorite thing under 6.50 would have to be the majority of the menu at Hawker's Delight on Main and King Ed. Delicious food and neckbeard/flannel central. Always good for cheap eats.

Anonymous said... @ April 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Tung Hing Bakery located on Kingsway has viet subs for $2.75. I use to frequent Bale at Fraser and Kingsways, but they were really skimpy on the fillings. Since it's a bakery, if you time it right sometimes you'll get bread fresh out of the oven. So good.

Anonymous said... @ April 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM

give us something we can copy and paste

Gyromite said... @ April 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

What do you mean copy and paste? You can just share the link, if thats what your intent is.

There is lots that I have missed such as (Frtiz Poutine, Deep Fried Mars Bar at Belgium Fries, Italian Cheese bread from Tera Bread, Purdys Ice Cream Bars, etc). Hopefully, I ll get pics of them for part two.

NiƱa said... @ April 20, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Thanks, Matt

mylifeontheelist said... @ April 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM

If you like waffles, have you been to Patisserie Lebeau?

Also for less than $3, a roll of Kimbob from Kim's Grocery on Broadway near Sebs.

ArC said... @ April 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM

How does Nat's Pizzeria compare to Uncle Fatih's, specifically UF's roasted potato pizza?

KimHo said... @ April 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Agreed with Hawker's Delight. Missing from the list (IMO):

Fratelli's Bakery
La Grotta del Formaggio (which just happens to be next to each other)

2001 Flavors Pizza >= Uncle Fatih's > Nat's Pizza.

Gyromite said... @ April 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Your are right, Hawkers should have been in there but dont worry there will be a part two. I just wanted to get this feature up rather than weight.

I have never been to Fratellis bakery, I will have to check it out.

La Grotta is good but La Galleria and Finchs is sooo much better.

Uncle Fatihs is a way better deal than Nats but I still prefer Nats.

ArC said... @ April 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM

For Vietnamese subs (banh mi), my favourite is Truong Giang, 392 E Hastings. If you don't know what to get, get the special. It's a variety of Vietnamese cold cuts.

KimHo said... @ April 21, 2009 at 5:52 AM

re: La Grotta vs. Galleria vs. Finch: it is possible the last two might be "better" (will take your word for it, as I haven't been there); however, there is a *small* problem. According to their menu, almost all items are over your $6.50 threshold! ^_^;

Anonymous said... @ April 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I love the mention of Purdy's ice cream bar...totally have to get it on your list #2 ;)

Gyromite said... @ April 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM

- I was thinking about it, maybe La Grotta does deserve to be on the list. For the price it is a good sandwich.

I have always said to myself for a few dollars more I rather have a Finch's sandwich but you can almost always pay more and get something bigger or better.

Value is important.

Jackie said... @ April 21, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Excellent feature! I like reading all your picks as well as everyone else's. I totally agree with adding Hawker's Delight to the list. Good call on Japadog and Ramune soda.

So.cial at la magasin's oyster bar has Thursday happy hour martinis for about $4.50 and a small bites tasting menu for under $3, like homemade gnocchi.

Also, steamed vegetable buns at T & T Market.

And Yummy Cafe off 4th and Pine. An all-day diner with breakfast, burgers, and, damn, sushi in a greasy spoon old-school Kits environment. An endangered species indeed.

Me said... @ April 21, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Crispy tofu from Yopo Cafe on Homer Street ($5.50). Melt in your mouth goodness, always perfectly crispy on the outside, smooth on the inside and spot on with the salt. YUM.

Anonymous said... @ August 31, 2009 at 1:37 AM

How'd ya miss Au petit cafe (Cambie @ 33)? They have fresh vietnamese french bread subs every day - all under 5$!

Anonymous said... @ September 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM

au petit is there.

Debbra said... @ April 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM

The Mexican chicken torta's at Duffin's Donuts on Main St (@33rd) used to be fantastic, about $4.50. That location is gone but there's one on Knight near 41st, haven't checked it out.