This is one of my favorite Japanese places to eat at. I occasionally order the sashimi, I never order the sushi but I love their grilled fish and rice bowls. This time we ordered the grilled mackeral, takoyaki (octopus balls) and BBQ Eel Don. The menu has changed a bit and I couldn't find the grilled miso cod on the menu (my past favourite).

The tako yaki ($5.95) was hot, and tasty. It had its usual interesting texture and a great flavour. The BBQ eel don ($9.95)was fantastic and the grilled mackeral combo ($13.95) also proved to be a fantastic choice. I really love this place.

This place is still a secret gem of Vancouver Slop and if you can get over the strange atmosphere, I am sure this place will be on your list of favourite places to eat.

- Best miso soup in the city.
- Best grilled fish in the city
- Craziest atmosphere (circular windows, mini golf and water fountains in the back)
- Pasta night on Mondays (never been but it doesn't interest me)
- Very interesting crowd at times

1125 W 12 th Ave
Shaughnessy Village Hotel
Vancouver, BC Canada

There are a few other Tenhachi reviews on Vancouver Slop, just do a search.

Tenhachi Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Anonymous said... @ April 29, 2009 at 10:06 AM

This is a funny one, I've tried Tenhachi four times now. There's always one part of the meal that stands out as really poor, but I guess its all in what you order. It drives me crazy that they use frozen bagged peas and carrots as a side dish.
Their tofu dishes are delicious, I had the pork katsu don last time and the meat was chewy and over cooked, the rice gummy and overall really disappointing.
I guess I should be trying the grilled fish dishes.

I do want to try them for their Japanese breakfasts with natto!

Gyromite said... @ April 29, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I think four times is enough times to get a feel for a restaurant. I am sorry to hear that it has not won you over.

I always go for the specials, or the fish, or the tempura. Once I had the teriyaki burger because my Japanese friends were raving about it.

Their miso soup is fantastic.

Anonymous said... @ April 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Agreed that the miso soup is delicious. Thanks for responding!

holly said... @ April 29, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Tenhachi is a diamond in the rough. It offers a quirkiness seldom found in other japanese establishments.

I often feel like a visitor myself as most of the other guests are visitors of some sort.

Must try the grilled fish next time. It sounds delicious.

Kyle said... @ May 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I live right behind the Shaughnesssy village hotel. I am excited to Tenhachi at try. I have seen the sign out front a few times and snickered at it since the hotel is a bit of a dump. Hopefully having Tenchachi near by will offset the obnoxious hotel guest who yell off their balconies at 3AM.

Kyle said... @ May 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle said... @ May 30, 2009 at 11:30 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyle said... @ May 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Tenhachi is too legit to quit.

I stumbled across the lane today to give it a try. For dinner I had a fermented rice drink (Amakazu) that could only be described as rancid soy milk spiked with moonshine. I'm sure its and acquired taste, but I wouldn't order it again. For my main I had the special Chirashi don, I consider the don to be a good survey of a Japanese restaurant since you get to try the rice as well as various cuts of what should be their best fish. The don came with a generous portion of very fresh red tuna, tako, bbq salmon (soooooooo good), tamago, BBQ eel, inari, surf clam and wild salmon. The fish was all nicely cut and well presented (no blood or excess fat). My guests had the chicken Katsu and the Salmon nigiri special. Everyone left happy. Aside from the decor I must say I was impressed. Currently my favorite sushi place in Vancouver is Toshi's, but Tenhachi defiantly holds it own, and I will be back

san said... @ November 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I love Tenhachi so very much, but I have to say I've only gone for breakfast, which rocks very hard in all its variations. It's unbelievable that it's not better known.

P.S. A shoutout to the amazing miso soup from my end as well! ;)

Anonymous said... @ March 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM

After reading your review about Tenhachi, my friends and I decided to give it a try.

First off, I absolutely agree with you about the interior of the place. It definitely has a personality of its own; however, the food was delicious & generous in portion.

We would just like to thank you for recommending such an amazing place with great food at a fantastic price.

Our goal is to check out the other restaurants on your blog and experience many more wonderful & tasteful memories!

May said... @ April 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM

I found your blog a few years ago and this restaurant reccomendation was hands down the best I'd ever gotten from your blog...I'd sometimes go for breakfast by myself sometimes when I'd wake up too early for anyone else to be up...I'm going here for dinner tonight for the first time.... gold star for you