Van-Ya is hidden Japanese restaurant I had never heard of until a friend told me about it. There are million Japanese joints in this city but not all are up to par with the food, especially sushi. So it's a risk to step into a new place to spend your money expecting a great meal. But my friend assured me that this place was pretty legit. Van-ya is a "mom & pop's home style" japanese restaurant. They call it "Japanese Mom's Kitchen". They offer an assortment of japanese food, sushi to tempura, ramen to grill fish teishoku.

There's nothing more like a Japanese Mom's dish than a Croquette Teishoku, so that's what I dropped in for. My friend got the Tonkatsu w/ rice & miso soup. Both were about $8. We shared a few pieces of Tamago Nigiri and a BC Roll.

Well, my friend was right. This place is pretty legit. Reminds of of Hachibei on 16th a little bit before they renovated and changed ownership. The croquettes were decent and the miso soup was pretty tasty. My friend enjoyed the Tonkatsu and loved their Tamago Nigiri.

The decor is pretty oldschool but they make it up in service. It's a nice family run establishment. If you're in the area go check it out for yourself.

Van-Ya
5615 Harold St. (just off Kingsway)
tel: 604-433-1303

O-toro

Jessica604 said... @ May 23, 2009 at 4:52 PM

YAY! Thanks for reviewing Van-Ya!
I love Van-Ya, their bentos are good value and quality is great. I love that the chefs have apppretices and I also love that the new owners haven't changed the restaurant too much from the old owners.

shokutsu said... @ May 23, 2009 at 10:02 PM

For that price point, sounds like a decent deal. Will check it out.

Can you comment more on Hachibei (both pre and post change), perhaps here or in a future post. Just want to see how it stands next to Van-Ya or perhaps another of V-Slop's favorites, Tenhachi.

Anonymous said... @ May 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM

How does this place compare to Yoshoku-ya?

O-toro said... @ May 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM

shokutsu:
up until about 2 years ago my girlfriend and i used to frequent Hachibei quite a bit. sushi was never their forte but the grilled fish dishes and fried foods were great. it was a family run spot with the son managing the floor. he used to bicker with his parents in the kitchen a lot, but some how that added to the mom & pops atmosphere that we enjoyed so much.
we've gone back a few times under the new management. they changed the menu a little but the personally the dishes do not taste as good.
but really we've stopped going mainly because we found Tenhachi, where the dishes are amazing.
Van-ya's quaint family atmosphere just reminded me of the old Hachibei, minus the family squabbles.

Anonymous:
it's hard to compare the two. Yoshuka-ya serves exactly that, "yoshoku", which is Japanese Style Western food (hamburg steak, curry,...with rich sauces). While Van-ya mainly Japanese Home Style food. grilled fish, Tempura, Sushi,.....
but both totally worth checking out.

thanks for reading!

Dice-K Maru said... @ May 26, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I have never been here. It seems very Japanese. My expectation is already growing so much. Please take me.

chenmeinv0 said... @ November 30, 2016 at 7:14 AM