Sometimes I can be an asshole to eat with. I can be that guy at the dinner table who says the food sucks after someone boasted about the restaurant. Usually I keep my filter on but sometimes the Asahi takes my filter off.

This day a friend wanted to show me a cheap sushi spot on the drive and I was like come on its going to be fishy and wack. She was persistent and we took a trip to Sake Maki.

The interior was creative. It must have previously been a Greek restaurant because the walls had resemblance of the Parthenon on it. The Japanese owners were creative and added some cherry blossoms and a painting of Mt Fuji to disguise the previous Greek environment and make it more Japanese.

The food. I was surprised, the sashimi was really fresh, it wasn't fishy, and the rolls were tasty. I even did something unusual for me and ordered a plate of teriyaki at the end to fill me up. Such a rookie thing to do in a Japanese restaurant but seeing someone order that sizzling plate just made me want to have one. For all you Commercial Drive inhabitants you have something good here in Sake Maki.

A recommended cheap Japanese sushi spot.

Sake Maki
1414 Commercial Dr

Sake Maki on Urbanspoon

J-Free said... @ June 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I always assumed Commercial had quality food of every culture except Asian. I'm going here next time for sure, I really want to be proven wrong.

Thanks for guinea pigging Matt.

Gyromite said... @ June 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM

there is also Lime which I heard is solid but the price is a little more.

Kengot said... @ June 22, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Actually I found Japanese taste that added on Greek wall.^^

lyndsay said... @ June 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM

woohoo! sake maki is so close to my house. although one time i did have it delivered, heh heh... it's the best decently priced sushi the drive has to offer thusfar.

they have "Crazy Rolls" that are lots of fun too. my husband just tested the dessert roll, which was mango, creamcheese, shredded coconut, a bit of avocado and Pop Rocks!! at least they're creative too!

Lydia said... @ July 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Dude, I wish I read this last night when we were driving up Commercial wanting sushi. I never know where to eat on the Drive. I think it's over hyped.

The Fledgling Basement Foodie said... @ March 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I took my boyfriend out for dinner a couple weeks ago and accidentally ended up at Sake Maki. I wanted to go to The Red Pagoda (reviews anyone?), but it was closed, and Sake Maki was second choice, so there we ended up.
Kind of a crammed interior, but lovely and inviting and high-energy all the same. I ordered the salmon, avocado, and cream cheese roll, and the pork and vegetable gyozas, and was equally impressed. The roll was very tasty and quite fresh, somehow eight pieces didn't make me feel sick, which usually happens with sushi and I. The gyozas were delicious too, piping hot. Everything was lovingly and tastefully presented as well. Service could have been slightly better, but it wasn't bad by any means. I would go back again. And they really are experimental with their sushi, which is good fun. If we want to the freshest Japanese sushi and salads on the Vancouver block though, go to Michi Sushi at Broadway & Granville (North Side). It's meant to be take-out as there are only three stools, but trust me, even if you have to eat it curbside, it's worth it.