I used to say that Fritz has the best poutine in the city but that was because every time I had a Fritz poutine I was really drunk. The truth, it is not the best poutine. But who has the best poutine? Fritz, Frenchies, Belgian Fries, New York Fries, KFC, BK, Chambar, Pings. Ok, lets leave out the gourmet poutines and stick with the street/mall versions.

I am putting up Fritz Poutine which has major line ups every Friday and Saturday night against New York Fries which is located in almost every mall.

Price: About the same. 5 dollars at Fritz or NY Fries.
Gravy: Got to give it to NY Fries
Overall Taste: I hate to say it but I think the NY Fries poutine is better.
Misc: Well you can make the Fritz Poutine into an Italian for a few dollars more. Once we went across the street to the hole in the wall and put BBQ pork on our poutine. Fantastic.

In the end, I have to say NY Fries wins. I like to order it with the gravy and cheese on the side so I can regulate the amount of cheese and gravy I have in every bite.

The question is now, is Belgian Fries' Poutine better?

New York Fries on Urbanspoon

Whats your favourite spot?

Sol Kauffman said... @ September 16, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Try the Belgian Poutine at Stella's on cambie and 17th or so... It's amazing, almost like a fruity gravy.

moreterriers said... @ September 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I hate to say it, cause I kinda hate the restaurant. Hell's Kitchen on west 4th has killer poutine. From their website:
Hand-cut Kennebec potatoes, crispy capers, aged Quebec white cheddar, prosciutto, peppercorn
tenderloin jus . . . so good!

Camille said... @ September 16, 2009 at 11:41 PM

This: "I like to order it with the gravy and cheese on the side" ...

made my Quebec heart weep. And I think whoever invented poutine might've spun in their grave.

J-Free said... @ September 17, 2009 at 2:13 AM

+1 for belgian fries, it was better a year or two ago when the prices were cheaper though

the frites special and war are great for those who aren't into the whole gravy and cheese thing as well

Nick said... @ September 17, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Costco Poutine!!! Seriously for the price they have pretty decent poutine.

The curds actually taste like cheese and not soft rubber.

Anonymous said... @ September 17, 2009 at 6:04 PM

chambar's poutine a la belge!

Anonymous said... @ September 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said... @ September 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM

I think real curds are supposed to be squeaky and rubbery. Thats what makes them curds and not pieces of cheese sticks

Tia said... @ September 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM

i never knew costo had poutine! gotta try it. I love NYF poutine though, oddly, for mall food it's pretty damn tasty.

miraj k said... @ September 19, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Papa's @Main&14th - $3!!

& Brado Pizza @Commercial Drive

2nd plc: Zako's Deli @ B.Way&Cambie.

trish meow said... @ September 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM

ZAKO'S DELI poutine is AMAZING. on broadway and cambie, right next to the fresh slice pizza on broadway. it's got a little pickle on the sign. really damn good! they also have really good montreal smoked meat!

Rhea said... @ September 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I had very good poutine recently at the newish Pivo Public House (Tinseltown). Thin, crispy(!) fries with thick, silky gravy and pulled pork. My only issue was that it was a little too salty. Pivo also serves a classic version and an Italian one. The latter has no gravy, so not poutine by my definition.

CL said... @ September 23, 2009 at 11:34 PM

no way. new york fries gravy is whack. why is it so dark and beefy? you'll never find a gravy like that in quebec. ce n'est pas authentique.

Gyromite said... @ September 24, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Isn't dark because it is beef gravy and not chicken gravy.

Phyllis said... @ October 22, 2009 at 1:14 PM

We hit 12 spots in 12 days during a poutine crawl in Vancouver last May. Brado Pizza was our favorite, Salade de fruits a close 2nd. Fritz came in a respectable 5th. New York Fries was tasty, but the cheese curds weren't authentic. Same with BK, yummy but they used mozzarella cheese instead of curds. But we actually prefered NY Fries and BK to Belgian fries which was really disappointing - salty gravy and the cheese curds were sour (maybe we got a bad batch). Enjoyed reading your post and all the comments from fellow poutine enthusiasts :)

Huckdoll said... @ October 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Zog's in Whistler village has seriously good poutine. Worth a trip to the mountains.

whatsoup said... @ February 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I am from Qu├ębec and I have to say, I have yet to find a poutine that even rivals Au Coq. BC is a horrible province for poutine and I dare anyone to prove me wrong. What they have here is not even good enough to be a joke.

Anonymous said... @ December 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Zakos is no good, what are you puffing. Try The Charlaton on Commercial Drive and The French Table on Main St

Anonymous said... @ May 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Papa's on Main Street is absolutely horrible for $3

Dont like La Belle Pate - hard curds, but I think this is how they are suppose to be ?

Zako's deli dont use fresh potatoes and dont peel their potatoes. A girl from Japan makes your poutine... that says it all.... sorry to say. and a vegetarian gravy that just doesnt cut it

So far I like Templeton Cafe - great fries -- its not really poutine but gravy, cheese and fries but it seems like the best in town. I sure wish someone would learn how to make authentic Quebec poutine in Vancouver, its so easy -- larger peeled kennebec potates double fried, chicken stock gravy and lots of curds -- not one place in town gives you enough cheese and it really pi...es me off.