I have a strong memory of me as a kid, alone, sitting in a car parked on the side of a road waiting for my parents for a few hours. Why was I stuck in a car by myself?

The story was that my parents went matsutake (pine mushroom) picking in BC and my mom got lost. So my dad went searching for her and left me in the car in case she found her way back and to prevent me from getting lost. All I remember was that it got dark, I waited for about three hours, and I really had to go pee. In the end, everything ended up OK, we had a bag full of mushrooms and all heads were accounted for.

I went by Fujiya the other day and noticed that they are selling matsutake mushrooms and felt the need to pick up a pair. I took them home and cut them up and made a dish my mother taught me, matsutake gohan (pine mushroom rice).

Basically add cut matsutake mushrooms, carrots, cooked chicken cubes, chicken broth, sake, hon dashi, and soy sauce in your rice cooker and hit cook. My mom would also add some Crown Royal for some reason. There are tons of recipes on the internet.

I tried the matsutake prior to cooking and they weren't as flavourful as I remember them to be. They were actually quite bland and a little firm. Either my memory is off or the grade of the matsutake was very poor.

For those who don't know, the matsutake mushroom is a delicacy in Japan and can fetch a really high price. These two mushrooms were just over 6 bucks at the store but a high quality matsutake can go for 2000 dollars per kg (according to Wiki).

They are a local product and are raved about in Japan so for those two reasons alone you really should try them out. One of those things that if you live in BC you should be able to say that you tried them once.

You could make the rice with shitake mushrooms or any other type of mushroom.

Anonymous said... @ October 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I lived in a tiny town in the mountains in Japan for a year. There was this awesome forest in behind my house which I totally wanted to explore. My boss, kind of an anal fellow, was totally worried whenever I was doing anything he didn't have a schedule for, because he thought if anything happened to me he would be responsible. So he would lie to me to keep me from hiking/renting a car/going to Osaka for the weekend. Once of the stupidest and clumsiest lies he told me was that I would be arrested if I went in the forest near my house. I asked him what charge it would be, expecting him to say something like "trespassing"...but instead he said "for poaching matsutake".

Anonymous said... @ October 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I loved your entry on matsutake! It brought happy memories for me. My grandparents (formerly of Kitsilano before the war) would go with their friends in the 'wild' of Manitoba to find their treasures. They are all gone now but my Uncle (their son) continues the hunt every year, hiking 3 hours in to find some. This year he only got 12 whereas in years past I remember seeing a picture of my Granny with a whole pile in front of her.

Anonymous said... @ October 27, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Pine mushrooms! My parents friends actually go out and pick these mushrooms on the wknds for money. They make a killing too I think. And we get a ton for free! I used to hate the smell but if cooked right, they're delish! Cool article.

Anonymous said... @ October 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM

For years growing up in the lower mainland(mostly about now Oct-early Nov). I remember annually going Matsutake picking with all Japanese family friends. I however was never really a big fan, because I never really cared to eat Matsutake as it came in rice or as my parents usually broiled it in the oven. Yet still I can never get the smell of fresh Matsutake being cooked, I can never get it enough of it...

- Cheers

your Japanese Team thirsty member and Vancouver slop fan.

alee said... @ July 27, 2018 at 4:22 AM

Thanks for this wonderful information. You posts are really nice and interesting. Writing style is also very amazing Indian Independence Day Quotes in English

Rayanaly said... @ October 15, 2018 at 9:36 AM

here you can get the free premium apps in free thorugh Free Lucky Patcher worldfree4u.

Cornelia Boldt said... @ October 20, 2018 at 2:11 AM

Just wanna remark on few general things, The website style is ideal, the topic matter is rattling good.
8 Best DIY Halloween Costumes For Girls

Unknown said... @ October 21, 2018 at 8:36 AM

I Read Your Contant its Very Interesting But Here I Found More Information. I Think you Like it: MX Player Pro APK Free

Unknown said... @ October 21, 2018 at 8:42 AM

I Read Your Contant its Very Interesting But Here I Found More Information. I Think you Like it: TubeMate Video Downloader APK

Unknown said... @ October 21, 2018 at 8:48 AM

I Read Your Contant its Very Interesting But Here I Found More Information. I Think you Like it: TikTok ( Musically ) APK

Unknown said... @ October 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM

I Read Your Contant its Very Interesting But Here I Found More Information. I Think you Like it: FileHolder.info

Amaya Tylor said... @ October 25, 2018 at 10:36 PM

Thanks for this great post. Download clone hero game for free from: clone hero

Marina Thompson said... @ October 25, 2018 at 11:38 PM

Thanks for this great post. Download nova launcher app from: nova launcher prime apk

Anees Shami said... @ October 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for sharing this great post.

Keep Sharing Happy Chick

Tech Gears said... @ November 2, 2018 at 10:05 AM

Very detailed post on wonderful ideas. It would be really helpful.Androrat APK.Download Skype Resolver Free.MX Player Pro APK.TubeMate APK.GTA San Andreas APK. Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate it.

Ramjiyawan said... @ November 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM

Nice point of you. would like to hear more from this platform. thanks ludo king apk free download

Shabir Shah said... @ November 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM

If conceivable, as you clear knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is damned helpful in return me.Happy Thanksgiving Poems

Roman said... @ November 12, 2018 at 5:45 AM

Thanks. Vidmate for IOS

Maryam Butt said... @ November 14, 2018 at 1:15 PM

Amazing. Minecraft APK Download

Shabir Shah said... @ November 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM

What an outstanding website, genuinely joyful I came across it!braided christmas tree hair

Rayanaly said... @ November 17, 2018 at 8:55 AM

peggo apk download
iptv player latino pc
walmart credit card login

Safe Milli said... @ November 18, 2018 at 7:34 PM

This is really awesome, am so glad to read this informative article. I must confess this one of the exceptional blog that I have ever come across. Keep sharing this kind of information to users.

I'm a freelancer by profession, I can help you write a blog post on any nich, incase you may need a professional writing service, here are some of my articles:
Quick tips on Email marketing tips,
Best free music download sites get high quality mp3 audios,
Download AnonyTun Pro Apk best free vpn for Android,
Best places to Watch Hindi movies online free,
Best 17 GameCube ROMS for Dolphin Emulator,
A professional tips on How to write a cover letter,
Ultimate guide to Human resource management,
Best websites to download free movie,
Abokifx today's Black market Naira to Dollar exchange rate,
Best working iptv m3u playlist url to watch live iPTV channels free on Kodi and Roku
Do you need my service?

Health Care said... @ December 5, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Nice post. Thanks for sharing it. Farm house Interior Designer in delhi

Amit Hope said... @ December 12, 2018 at 1:08 PM

Amazing post. Sniper 3D Apk

Joycam Jane said... @ December 13, 2018 at 9:37 AM

Here You Can Get The Minecraft Apk Premium App Free Through Minecraft Apk Download