Kalamata
I find there are many pitfalls with Greek food. The meat is too dry, the potatoes are not crispy enough, the rice is just bland or it is just not worth the price tag. I like many have stood in line for Stephos and walked out stating that was a great meal/great deal. I like many have also walked two doors down to Takis and said screw the line up at Stephos.

I needed a new Greek joint and I have tried many but always walked away unhappy until now. Kalamata was recommended to me by a friend that was hit and miss with previous recommendations. This time it was a hit. We ordered the beef souvlaki and the garlic prawns. The meals come with a nice sized Greek salad. I substituted mine for a green salad but regreted it because the raspberry dressing was weird and the Greek salad was way better.

The prawns were garlicky as described, actually really garlicky. Bring some gum or breath mints cause you will be representing halitosis when you leave. The rice was super flavourful, potatoes were great and the beef was tasty and moist.

Service was a little slow but the food was great. The price was on par with most Greek Restaurants at about 15 dollars per dish. Best Greek food in town? I wouldn't say that but it is a new fav.

Kalamata
388 West Broadway
Vancouver BC

Kalamata Greek Taverna on Urbanspoon

Etienne de Cochon said... @ November 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Thanks for the posts. I think your entries would be even better if you could post more detailed costs for the meal though.

Gyromite said... @ November 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM

It s about 15 per dish. I try to remember to note the price or take the bill but sometimes i forget.

I already feel stupid for taking photos of my meal and I think taking notes is even worse.

Etienne de Cochon said... @ November 5, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I follow your blog mostly to keep track of how expensive food in Vancouver has gotten. It's like watching a car crash as I can't believe the prices are as high as they are here in London.

Gyromite said... @ November 6, 2009 at 11:38 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gyromite said... @ November 6, 2009 at 6:26 PM

We got our ghetto cheap spots, and we got our high end spots. Eating in Vancouver is still quite affordable for asian cuisine.

I love London but if you are not making the pound, boy is it expensive.

Etienne de Cochon said... @ November 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM

About the ghetto cheap food, definitely, that's what I miss the most. Especially the sandwiches at that place near the corner of hastings and main in the back of the grocery store. Also there is a great wor-tip (aka gyoza) place in chinatown not far.

The asian food in London is atrocious. Considering the size of the chinese and korean communities here, the poor quality of food (this goes for all food in the UK) is incomprehensible.

trish said... @ November 17, 2009 at 5:45 PM

you should try: Alexis House Cafe on
3420 Cambie Street.
the awning has a giant picture of the owner in his young days - hard to miss. the food is great! average greek food prices.

Anonymous said... @ July 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Thank you for your posts, Kalamata moved to a new location in October 2012, we are now at 1481 W. Broadway at Granville.
Please update the address in your post.