There’s a tremendous lack of Spanish fare in Vancouver. Café Barcelona, which serves up tapas and pintxos on Granville Street downtown, fills that void somewhat, and thus it’s easy to gloss over its many deficiencies: you take what you can get.

The place is not without its charm, and recalls the casual breeziness of many neighbourhood tapas bars in Spain. Here, then, are your obligatory selections of olives, seafood and jamon in a variety of shapes and forms, supported by a limited assortment of Spanish wines and beer (along with your local choices). It’s impossible to overemphasize the importance of alcohol in any tapas outing, and with the view looking out towards the Granville Street nightclubs, it’s hard to forget its importance at Café Barcelona too.

We ordered a few staples. The croquettes had a pleasantly thin crust surrounding a sea of béchamel that drowned not-quite-enough ham. The txistorra, a Basque sausage, was what one would expect but no more. The pulpo a la gallega, octopus served with potatoes and drenched with olive oil, took on a bit too much of a metallic taste of the can from which it came (Spanish fare being one of very few that value canned foods as much as fresh). The tortilla de patatas, a Spanish frittata of sorts, turned out to be a highlight, simple and well executed. All were good, not great: if Café Barcelona reminds one of an average Spanish tapas bar, the emphasis is on “average.”

From there it went downhill. We ordered a crème Catalana, a Spanish riff on crème brulee, which had a chewy, sugary mess on top, covering an overly liquid crème that was warm in some patches and cold in others. This provided a good summation of the bipolar service, with one server pleasant enough, the other dour, forgetful and just plain absent. Taken together with the average fare, Café Barcelona isn’t a place to rush back to. If it wasn’t for the city’s slim pickings for traditional Spanish fare, it probably isn’t a place to rush to in the first place.

Joe.

Café Barcelona
1049 Granville Street
604 909 2223

Cafe Barcelona on Urbanspoon

Anonymous said... @ March 11, 2010 at 3:52 AM

are you guys, like, too cool to post/care about prices now?

Joe said... @ March 11, 2010 at 9:15 AM

That's my fault. Cafe Barcelona's menu is available online, with pricing: http://www.cafebarcelona.ca/menu.php

Sylvia said... @ December 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Are they delivering yet? Last time I was there someone mentioned that they might start soon, but I havent heard if they ever started.

-Sylvia
Arizona Art Gallery

Al said... @ December 15, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Great recipe. I Love this, absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing http://www.ccsviclinic.ca/

Al Kennedy said... @ December 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

search name with phone number said... @ February 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM

It means that I would get some great Spanish food there.I really miss my Spanish food. I will try it out as soon as possible.

Robert said... @ September 12, 2012 at 4:29 AM

Seriously, this is the most well rounded feature on this topic I’ve ever read. As everyone knows, there’s a ton of information all over the internet on this but it’s more confusing than ever. Finally, an article that just tells it like it is.
It’s so refreshing to discover posts like the ones you article on your internet site. Quite useful looking through. I will hold you bookmarked. Many thanks!
So interesting posts,you wrote the headline you gave,and the meaning was so excited.I am sure people who all like them,and better then,good luck!.For more information please visit http://www.safedesign.com

Slava Veretenov said... @ November 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Oh! That's great! Thank you for post! Awesome!And one more thing:If you will have some free time, you can find many goods for yourself here - That's just about custom essay

Slava Veretenov said... @ November 25, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Useful information shared.I am very happy to read this article.thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.Thanks.
And what do you think about CEO

Slava Veretenov said... @ January 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Amaze! I have been looking bing for hours because of this and i also in the end think it is in this article! Mayb I recommend you something helps me all the time? Here's it http://ordercustomessay.com/