Here’s a quick note for those in search of new breakfast and/or comfort food options:

Acme Café, yet another new addition to Gastown, has settled in on Hastings, across the street from where the tent city popped up during the Games. The place is old school comfort food, done straight-up and earnest by Walter Messiah (Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts), without any taste-of-the-month gimics. A “high-falutin’ grilled cheese” ($10) is a lactose wet dream featuring cheddar, swiss, brie, Grand Marnier with a cranberry relish twist; a mixed berry slate pie ($4.75) features one of the best crusts in town. All baking is done in house, so ensure you save room for dessert.

_____________________________________

Those looking for something completely different should check out the breakfast menu at Green Lemongrass, a place that Vancouver Slop’s already visited, available 7 days a week, 9 to 11ish. The menu features twenty items of Vietnamese street food – noodles, congees, and other tasty snacks - each for $5 a dish. A house special pork Vietnamese congee has a slightly more sour taste than its Chinese equivalent (assumedly from the addition of fish sauce), and probably a bit more bite too. The bot chien is comprised of turnip cake fried with egg, a good alternative to your usual scramble. The Phnom Penh rolls are a different take on the usual salad rolls, with Chinese sausage, a lot of greens and nary a shrimp or noodle in sight.

Joe.

Acme Café
51 Hastings Street West
604.569.1022
Acme Cafe on Urbanspoon

Green Lemongrass
1086 Kingsway
604.875.6638
Green Lemongrass on Urbanspoon

The Fledgling Basement Foodie said... @ April 29, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Joe, I was wondering, did you have the high falutin' grilled cheese at ACME? If so, what did you think? Is it worth the price point? I'm thinking of doing a bit of a Grilled Cheese Hitlist in Van over the next couple of months and I was wondering if it was worth me heading over to ACME. I've already got Au Petit Chavignol, Deacon's Corner, and Salt Tasting Room on my list. Suggestions?

Joe said... @ April 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM

It's totally worth it - along with the sandwich you get their housemade potato chips and coleslaw - and that's speaking as someone that's slightly lactose intolerant.

I have yet to find another croque madame in town to rival Au Petit Cavignol's, so it sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

I think the Spanish chocolate place on Denman does a boccadillo sandwich, which isn't quite the same, but perhaps fits in your balliwick.

The Fledgling Basement Foodie said... @ April 30, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Thanks Joe! ACME does sound like a good deal. I'm also a lactard (my friend's crude term for lactose-intolerant folk); no ice cream for me, but I am addicted to cheese. Lactose-intolerant with a cheese addiction. Yikes!
P.S: Bailiwick, excellent word!

Jesse S said... @ May 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM

ACME was one of the worst dining experiences of my life!

I took your reco and went down with a friend. It was midday and there were probably 5 other people strewn about with like 7 staff behind the counter. Since there is a clock at the door i was able to see exactly how long certain things took. We are taken to table, I tell waitress "please can i have a water right away, i'm dying of thirst" 10 min later i see that drink. We order, 8 min later I get my orange juice and about 30 min later our sandwiches come. The place was near empty!! I had the Tuna melt, my friend had the roast beef. Both were sub par. The quality of meat and fish were not that great and both meals were very bland. So for $12 to eat a not so great sandwich...oooohhh that comes with potato chips and slaw, wait for 48 min to get it, and for your service to be lousy...guess what I'm never coming back and I'm spreading the hate.

grayelf said... @ May 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Joe, loving the bot chien at Green Lemongrass (had it for dinner on Wednesday AAMOF) but I'm pretty sure it's rice cakes, not turnip.

Rick Chung said... @ August 14, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Love Acme Cafe, produced this CBC News story on them :: http://j.mp/acmecafe

search name with phone number said... @ February 13, 2012 at 4:21 AM

I have never been to Acme Cafe but from the review you have made it looks like an amazing place.