Nook
The 15 dollar price point for good pasta in this city is almost a myth.  There are your casual fine dining spots and even some places that call themselves a pasta bar or a pasta house, but I find all those spots to be lackluster.

From the creators of Tapastree comes a place called Nook which makes a tasty pasta at a reasonable price point.   The pasta and pizzas run you about 15 dollars a plate and they are delicious.  The 30 seat interior is cute and if there isn't a big line, this place would be ideal for a first date.  Nook has everything that I would want for a first date location, a 15 dollar price point where you wouldn't cry about paying for dinner if eHarmony was wrong, a cozy interior with a perfect amount of lighting (the perfect amount of lumens so that you can pick out the strobelight honey and not feel like you are in an interrogation room), great service and they serve beer/wine in case you need a little assistance with your jokes.

I had the mushroom rigatoni which was peppered with bits of morels  has always the been the best dish on the table for my two visits.  The prosciutto pizza had a thin crust and was tasty, it worked well as an appetizer for four people.   The other pasta dishes were solid but couldn't hang with my mushroom rigatoni.

The downfall to me is that I wish they would have some fresh ground pepper  to put on my dish but this deficiency will not stop me from going back.  Be careful, they do not take reservations and there are often lines at this restaurant so sometimes you have to remember good things comes to those who wait.

Nook
781 Denman Street

Nook on Urbanspoon

KimHo said... @ September 10, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Does Q4 Monday and Tuesday $10 count? Oh, wait, you might be called "cheap" by your eHarmony date so never mind... Anyway, at least it might be an option otherwise!

Gyromite said... @ September 10, 2010 at 7:30 AM

KimHo, I think you need to school me. Does Q4 have a cheap monday and tuesday? 10 dollars gets you what?

I m searching your blog right now.

Anonymous said... @ September 11, 2010 at 10:47 AM

please stop writing 'price point,'it's way pretentious. thanks

curious said... @ September 11, 2010 at 4:07 PM

anonymous: i don't understand why the use of "price point" pretentious?

Betty said... @ September 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Anonymous is retarded.

The Fledgling Basement Foodie said... @ September 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Agreed, "curious" and "Betty".
I really feel if you want to make comments on other people's blogs that they work hard on, at least have the guts to put some sort of name down.
Plus, no one is forcing you to read this blog. Although you should because it is awesome.

Matthew said... @ September 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I've always had trouble justifying paying fine dining prices for pasta. Noodles are dirt cheap, so unless there's something absolutely amazing in the sauce, I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

KimHo said... @ September 13, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Sorry Gyromite, I haven't been there myself; however, Sherman has. You can check his entry here.

jeff said... @ September 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM

anonymous, kill yourself now. thanks.

Anonymous said... @ September 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM

guys guys guys

chill... said... @ September 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Wow... I also don't see how using "price point" is pretentious, but what is with the replies to that comment? You can't take criticism of SOMEONE ELSE'S blog? WTF? I can't even see how this could ever make the actual author mad...

David said... @ September 20, 2010 at 8:37 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GG said... @ October 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I can't enough of Nook. The food is such good value for money, the staff are friendly and the atmosphere is casual and comfortable. Agreed that the only downfall is that they don't take reservations but Nook is one of those great places that is worth the wait.