I finally made my way out to Five Guys to check it out.

For those who don't know Five Guys is a popular US burger chain that is favoured by both Barack Obama and Michelle Obama.  The US chain has now set foot in BC, with locations in West Vancouver and Surrey.   A nice feature is that they have a strict policy of using fresh food.  The burgers are fresh not frozen, the patties are hand made daily and there are no freezers on site.  It is also worth noting that Five Guys was voted best Fast Food Burger in Zagat's Fast Food Survey which is surprising since they beat out IN N OUT Burger who I thought would be the king.  In my opinion it's a survey not a critics choice so there is a chance the results are biased.

The US origin is clear.  The portions are massive.  The basic burger comes with two patties and is enough for most people, the portion of fries are generous and they are just dumped into the bag.   Men's Health magazine awards the large fries a D rating for the 1464 calories / 71 g of fat they supply.    Another sign of their US origin is their toppings.  Toppings are generously applied and if you want more they gladly apply more for free  and this includes extra bacon and extra cheese.

If you are going to Five Guys come with a friend and leave the calorie calculator at home. Ideal ordering would be two burgers (about $8 a piece) and a side of small fries that the both of you can share.   We really enjoyed the fries and felt they rival any other burger joint in BC.   The burgers are juicy and pretty  tasty for a fast food/ semi fast food burger.   Watching the cooks we noticed they smash their burgers on the grill with the spatula.   I have never done this at home as I always thought it pushed out the juices.   In any case their burger was good so maybe it is a technique I should adopt?  However, I really wish they would toast my bun.

All in all, if you are a burger lover you should check this place out.   The price adds up quickly and is comparable to their competition (Veras, Splitz, and Fatburger) however I do find their burger better tasting.   I dislike the fact that the price of a semi fast food burger combo is over ten bucks but it is clearly the new norm.

They had me at free extra bacon.

Five Guys Burger And Fries
501 2202 Park Royal
West Vancouver,
BC

Five Guys Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

Bob said... @ January 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM

This looks great. Never heard of it, but I will try it out for sure !

Laura said... @ January 20, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Lame blog.

Baracksgonnafeedya said... @ January 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I love this blog. Great blog. I respect the opinion of this blog. BUT I am a proud American living in this amazing city so to say "the US origin is clear. The portions are massive" among other silly "obvious" inferences about where the place originates is simply ignorant. Are you speaking as though Canada's obesity rate is not just as scary as the US? Because it is - it's equally disgusting. Check the stats pal. Are you writing a blog and just disregarding the fact that Vancouver is a mixed group? Or the fact that just because George Dubya was a dick and that it's "cool" by overly self-righteous BC standards to trash Americans these days is simply a way to mix with the crowd? Don't be a fool. Eat your burger, enjoy, don't politicize a food blog and go to bed. End of list. Pretty straightforward.

Anonymous said... @ January 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM

What are you, trolling blogs? I've been complaining about how downhill this one has been going but I see nothing wrong with this particular post.

Most fat Americans know they're fat, they know it's because of what they eat, and they couldn't care less. Besides, I don't even think this post mentioned you fat Americans once. Big portions at fast food joints absolutely originated from the US, so your claim of this post "politicizing" the blog is sensitive at best.

Tip: being "a proud American" is embarrassing, just like claiming to be a proud Canadian would be. And aside from the food, this city is far from amazing; maybe you should travel more.

Personally, I'm looking forward to fattening myself up at this burger spot, and thank this blogger for introducing us to it.

Gyromite said... @ January 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM

No one here is saying Americans are fat, we are just saying large portions are common to American establishments. In reality it makes for a good value. If you have ever been to a Claim Jumper Restaurant you will know what I mean.

That is just one example but there are many more.

Like Monica said Don't Take It Personal.

Anonymous said... @ March 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Lame Blog.... Vancouver slop.. is slop..