Sorry for the lack of updates from me but I have been away for the past two weeks in Asia.  Here is something to tide you over.

I spent some time in the Philippines and thought I would give Balut a try.  For those who don't know Balut is a partially developed chicken/duck fetus.  It is then boiled and served warm.  If you go to your local Asian supermarket you may see these eggs coloured in a maroon / red colour.  You may have also seen it on Fear Factor.

The juices were surprisingly really tasty.  Flavours of chicken and something that tasted like the salty fish, not sure how to describe it.   Then I put the rest of the contents of the egg in my mouth.  The different textures, degrees of firmness and the thought that there was an embryo in my mouth was just too much for me to deal with even though the taste was good.

Here is the clip.

I wanted to try it again, but it wasn't that easy to find in Manila.

Kevin said... @ March 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I had my first balut in Philippines too, on the beaches of Boracay. The vendors walk around with balut and chicharron.

It was just like eating a salty egg, except there were eyes staring at you..and the beak.

Still, didn't taste bad though.

Crispy Lechon said... @ March 20, 2011 at 9:30 PM

The maroon/purple eggs you see in Filipino stores here are Filipino salted eggs. Its less salty than Chinese salty eggs. For beginners you can start with penoys. Its the same as balut minus the chick embryo. I think its aborted baluts. :) You can find them in local Filipino stores here in Van/Richmond.

Gyromite said... @ March 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM

So the maroon eggs at TNT, Aling Mary is not Balut? It is just a salty egg?

So there is no way to get balut in Vancouver unless I get someone to steal an egg from their Grade 4 Hatch A Chicken science experiment?

fmed said... @ March 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM

You get balut here. I have seen them at a number of Filipino stores. Also look for the hot vit lon (the Vietnamese version - which is exactly the same thing.) You can get them by the dozen at Hen Long, for example.

Yes the purple eggs is just salted duck egg.

Crispy Lechon said... @ March 20, 2011 at 11:55 PM

I think Aling Mary in Vancouver sells raw balut. It is usually stored in the cooler. Just ask for it. Just need to boil them for a few minutes to cook them. You won't find cooked balut here unlike in the Philippines. BTW, the purple/maroon salted eggs are cooked.

Anonymous said... @ March 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM

my cousin held a contest at a party to win canucks tickets and the last "task" was to eat balut. only he didn't know they weren't already cooked and unfortunately no one was playing was filipino and didn't know any better. down the hatch they all went. ugh. don't try them raw. i think one of them got sick later. sorry, had to share.

Michelle said... @ March 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM

my cousin held a contest at a party to win Canucks tickets and the last task was to eat a balut egg each. only he didn't know that they eggs he bought weren't already cooked, and unfortunately none of the players were filipino, so down the hatch they all went! ugh. don't eat them raw. i think one of them got sick.

Anonymous said... @ March 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Michelle said... @ March 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM

sorry, about the multiple messages. thought it didn't work the first time. ;)

Gyromite said... @ March 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM

That needs to be on video!!!!