Most of us have passed by this place and thought about going in but only a small percentage of those people have actually dined at the restaurant.  If you were really curious you might have done some internet research and found that many food blogs have blogged about this already but for those who haven't let me throw in my two cents.

This place is a must for any Vancouver food hunter that is looking for an enjoyable experience.   The owner, Linda is the sweetest thing.  We were dining on one of their first day that they re opened after they closed for their vacation.  Linda mentioned that she forgot how to do some things so there wasn't any clam chowder available.  This is a scary start, I immediately thought what else did she forget, how to wash her hands, how to fry a steak, how not to spill gravy on my shirt.   Since the clam chowder wasn't available I got the beef barley which was actually pretty good.

I ordered the sirloin steak for $8.95 and it came with the steak, salad, baked potato, cake, bread and soup.  For the price the meal was decent, the steak didn't come with any sauce, and didn't have any charing but it wasn't bad.  It pretty much felt like a sirloin that you would fry in a pan at home.  The baked potato was small but it did come with sour cream, green onions and some bacon bits.

The meal is decent and I would consider it good considering the price but the real story is in the experience.  The owner is amazing and the interior while different and maybe consider seedy is still something I would consider clean.  Find the right friend and go give this place a try.

The Brave Bull
1298 E Hastings Street

Anonymous said... @ March 8, 2011 at 3:06 AM

nice picsss

raptortoe.com said... @ March 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Is this the place just up the street from the Gourmet Warehouse? I've walked past countless times, didn't think it was actually a good place.

Duncan said... @ March 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I love the Brave Bull. I have a great memory of Linda singing happy birthday to my friend when we took him there for a birthday dinner. It's great.

fmed said... @ March 8, 2011 at 6:31 PM

jer said... @ March 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I go past this restaurant everytime I go to school yet haven't stopped for a bite yet. Might consider giving it a try next time I'm around the corner buying fish. $9 for everything you got seems like a steal as well.

LotusRapper said... @ March 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

fmed said... "When I asked about the low prices, Linda said that they were too lazy to change the signage (which were put up decades ago)."

Um, I guess that's good. Wonder what else she's too lazy (or forgotten) to do ???

I ate there in their previous incarnation (name escapes me now, but it was "Italian" pizza/pasta/steak ....... exotic foods in the '70s, lol). My mom worked in the clothing factory next door, and sometimes we'd eat there when we pick her up after work.

4SlicesofCheese said... @ March 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I used to work at Budget Printing back in the day and I would go there for lunch. Linda is great and the food looks exactly the same forever.
Great memories